midi controller for scratching?
  • vber

midi controller for scratching?

by vber » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi to all,

i want to buy a new controller for Modul8, ideal for scratching...

i've already a behringer, but i'm not satisfied with its performance. i need more knobs & faders... any recomentation would be gradefull

i'm thinking for "M AUDIO UC 33E" (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR241906) and "NOVATION NOCTURN" (http://www.thomann.de/gr/novation_nocturn.htm), with cross fader.

also, i have another question. All midi's jog dials working with Modul for scratching? are they mappable? coz i've read in past topics that is a problem

many thanks
    Vangelis
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:57 pm

The codanova vmx vj is a good option and there's already a module to make its jog wheels work with md8
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:04 am

Thats it, rub it in.....wished i hadn't sold it now :)

Vber - I use the Novation Nocturn now myself...

Very nice controller, love the on screen display of settings- really useful and avoids the need to label your controller.

Pros - small, lightweight, on screen display, easily programmable controls.

Cons - a bit flimsy - crossfader broke within 4 gigs, not enough clip buttons for MD8, a small knob is not great for scratching with.

As for scratching I use the Movie Scratch Layer module mapped to a knob.
    The Novation lets you alter how many "points" each knob has, making the knob operate coarse or finely depending on your style and how mental you're gonna twist that knob.
  • vber

by vber » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:45 pm

thanks to all guys. i really appreciate yr help! ;)

Vmj Codanova is sold out... maybe the Novation Nocturn is a good low budget choice for me to start with.

nutcracker, the "Movie Scratch Layer" who do i activate it? Only Novation lets you alter how many "points" each knob has? I also have AKAI MPD24, i used this for making beats. But i can't find who is scratching with MD8.

as i see the NOVATION NOCTURN has various models.
    "http://www.thomann.de/gr/novation_nocturn.htm" is that you are talking about?

cheers,
    Vag[/img]
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:17 pm

>nutcracker, the "Movie Scratch Layer" who do i activate it?
    Modules - online library..its in the Garagecube Library.

>Only Novation lets you alter how many "points" each knob has?
    I dont think Novation is the only controller manufacturer to have this feature, but its the first one i've ever seen/used....and a very useful feature, so often controls are way too coarse or too fine to use live, this feature really helps.
    It also allows you to program a "stepper switch" controller too, for example you could map a knob to the speed control in Modul8 and set it to only have 5 points, now you have a controller that adjusts the speed from 0 to 25% to 50% to 75% to 100%, useful for bpm related syncing.

>I also have AKAI MPD24, i used this for making beats. But i can't find who is scratching with MD8.
    Not 100& sure i understand the question but here goes... Personally i prefer to use the forwards/reverse playback button when running that style of mix, the scratch effect can be hard to achieve using the knobs, theres also the Chopper module which can work nicely as it skips the playhead around the parts of a clip as you cut forward/back with a button...works well for me anyway.

>as i see the NOVATION NOCTURN has various models.
    "http://www.thomann.de/gr/novation_nocturn.htm" is that you are talking about?
    Any Novation model that utilises Automap will do what we're talking about, some have displays within them showing what each control is mapped to , however Automap has its Head-Up overlay screen anyway so thats not essential as you can bring it up onto screen with 1 button to see what you're controlling.
    If you have an iPhone or iPod touch you can also get an Automap App from the Appstore and then use your iThingy as a controller, also works really well although your controls are limited and touch screens arent all that pleasant to use live...i prefer to have a knob in my hand and get some haptic response from buttons.
    :lol: