Using Quartz Composer and Live Video
  • Avant-Hard

Using Quartz Composer and Live Video

by Avant-Hard » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:33 am

I just discovered a awesome feature in Tiger!
    I was kidding around with the Modul8 2 Demo because i'm about to start VJing. After playing with it for a while i just went to the Quartz Composer (bundled with XCode) to see what it could do, i decided that i wanted a live video source from my camera in the composition, in QC you can do that in several forms, using masks, using portions of the screen, using transparencys, etc.
    It worked well but it couldn't be used in a live performance because there's no intuitive and fast way to work with that program, so i closed QC and saved the .qtz in my desktop. For fun i decided to open it in Quicktime and see if it would open the live video source, but, where the video source should be was a green screen, anyway i pressed PLAY and the live vídeo appeared.
    Then i thought; if i could open this in Modul8... but Modul8 doesn't open .qtz files, maybe if i save this file in a self contained .mov it may open... and guess what!!! It does!!!
    This way you can make crazy compositions with live video inserted there and use it in your shows with no need to relay only in the layer format that is given to you.
    I guess this can be used in other thousand ways, but it depends on the needs you have and what you want to do. I've had already several great ideas to use it. :P
    I used the example of Modul8 but this may be true for manny other apps that use QT, even Keynote i guess, it would be fun to have live video in a presentation.
    Stay well and enjoy!

José Lemos

This is a dupplicate of posts sent to other sites and foruns, but was copyed and pasted by the guy who wrote it, in this case me. :D
    Can the GarageCube guys give me a copy of Modul8 2 for this fantastic discovery???
    Please... :wink:
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:23 pm

hum... it's not a discovery... and you must know that you can directly savec as quicktime in QC... and also... there are already two posts about that on this forum :twisted:
  • AvantHard

by AvantHard » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:57 am

I didn't find anything about compositions that include live video, i thought that that was the discovery, but maybe it was logical to you that it worked, for me and maybe for many people what should work where the normal compositions without live video.
    I didn't search for any export function in QC, has i've said, i decided to try the .qtz file after i exited QC.
    Anyway, you've got a killer VJing Software and i still think i deserve one copy. :D

Let's see how my work goes, that vjing thing is a project that will take maybe a couple of months to start, until then i'll be playing with the demo. Then, i guess i'll have to buy it.
    cal6n
    activ8 member

by cal6n » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:08 pm

I don't know whether you're having a laugh or whether you're just an arrogant little ****!

Lot's of us are discovering stuff we can do with modul8 that the designers haven't thought of. Some are writing modules to extend its usability & allowing even more flexibility. It's the nature of the software! None of us are demanding a free copy.

Put your hand in your pocket and cough some cash up!

Then, in a "couple of months" when you've got "that vjing thing" started, you can show us all how it's done!

WAKNER!
  • AvantHard

by AvantHard » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:09 pm

cal6n wrote:I don't know whether you're having a laugh or whether you're just an arrogant little ****!

Lot's of us are discovering stuff we can do with modul8 that the designers haven't thought of. Some are writing modules to extend its usability & allowing even more flexibility. It's the nature of the software! None of us are demanding a free copy.

Put your hand in your pocket and cough some cash up!

Then, in a "couple of months" when you've got "that vjing thing" started, you can show us all how it's done!

WAKNER!

I think i never was in a position of demanding anything, i was just kidding about that and i think that the only arrogant little **** that thought i was demanding anything was you.
    Maybe yo've got the smilies feature turned off? Maybe you didn't read may last post until the end? You should do it before starting with insults.
    It's because of people like you that 3 days after i've registered in this forum i'm already thinking of leaving it, i'm sorry 'cause i'm Portuguese and i don't have all my english vocabulary flowing like you do, i've said "vjing thing" because i didn't know exactly how to call it mr artist. The job i was talking about will be a mix o VJing and live multi-cameras directing, but you'll never know how all it went.
    And my pocket is almost empty after i cough €4500 in a Panasonic DVX100A camera and other filming equipment, upgrades to my G4 etc, that was the savings of 1 year of hard work, i hope that a "couple of months" from now i have some more to cough up.
    Goodbye and enjoy your forum!
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:20 pm

Calm down, guys !... This is just misunderstanding... Relax...

I think the trick that AvantHard wanted to show us is that you can use live video through a QC file... not that you can use a QC document from within Modul8. And yes it can be helpful for people who feel that Modul8 does not have enought option to manage live video.

Let's keep a positive and open mind in this forum ! :wink:

Yves.
    cal6n
    activ8 member

by cal6n » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:19 pm

All right, then. With hindsight, I'll put my hand up to slapping you down a bit too hard but please do me a favour and pause for thought. Take a deep breath, make a cup of coffee or tea or whatever. Then settle down and take a couple of hours to read through some of the threads that have been discussed and that have shaped the developement of this superb software over the past year. Try to get a feel for passion and commitment that have flowered within the modul8 community over that time and the way in which the members interact, developers and end users alike. Then re-read your first post and imagine the effect it could have had on a long-time member. You might find that you'll see why my feathers were more than somewhat ruffled.

I read your comment that "that vjing thing is a project that will take maybe a couple of months to start" as belittling to those that have spent years learning their craft and consider themselves to be still learning. Looking back, I see I misunderstood. Kudos to you for seeing the potential to specifically feed live video into QC. I assume that comes from your work background. I am not an Artist, but a former engineer turned scientist who has been fortunate enough to find an outlet for his creative side. As such it seemed logical (as you've stated) that any composition should work, although I'd not given any thought to the specifics.

So, if you're prepared to admit that your first posts were a little "aggressive" then I'm prepared to admit that my response was a little too "defensive"

Oh, and by the way, someone once told me that there are 2 sorts of people on this planet. Wakners and liars! I like to think that I'm not a liar! :D
  • studioc
    activ8 member

by studioc » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:33 am

Avant - don't leave! We (I) am very interested in integration of QC into VJ work. If I can generate some kind of QC connection to feed into M8 that's great!
    The Revolution must be televised!