Architectural Mapping
    madsmeskalin
    activ8 member

Architectural Mapping

by madsmeskalin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi! Is it any way to make architectural mapping in modul8? Or more complex 3D mapping than squares.I have seen Deep Visuals tutorials for modul8, but lets say I want to make an octagon? Or something with even more angles?
    Im pretty sure I missed something basic, I just cant seem to find what it is ;)
    www.madsmeskalin.com - where dreams (notably mine) come true
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:33 pm

To do architectural mapping "properly" you'll need more than modul8 but you can get away combining clever use of masks made in photoshop with the perspective transform and the painter module. Start by taking a photo of your subject using a lens as similar as possible to the projector's from the same point where you'll set the projector. Then use the photo as your template for everything else.
    For quick and dirty mappings you can do a lot using the painter module alone.
    madsmeskalin
    activ8 member

by madsmeskalin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:37 pm

Once again, thanks mowgli!
    www.madsmeskalin.com - where dreams (notably mine) come true
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:23 pm

same here, just took the picture of my objective, created templates or masks, put them in modul 8, applied luma key or blend mode on it, projected through the masks onto the object and thats it!

example on what i did on the fly for Honda...
    http://vimeo.com/10380769
    No se quien soy, pero se de que huyo. M.Montaigne
    Twitter: @popversus / @esegabbo
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 pm

mowgli_uk wrote:To do architectural mapping "properly" you'll need more than modul8 but you can get away combining clever use of masks made in photoshop with the perspective transform and the painter module. Start by taking a photo of your subject using a lens as similar as possible to the projector's from the same point where you'll set the projector. Then use the photo as your template for everything else.
    For quick and dirty mappings you can do a lot using the painter module alone.

Hi,
    I've seen lots of 'mapping' read a few bits about it, watched deepvisual's tutorial ------ and still it hasn't quite clicked how to do it. is there a step by step tutorial anywhere; just or simple masks? etc. I'm familiar with the perspective transform and sizing/positioning different layers - just not with the mask/mapping thingy.

tdog.
    By any means necessary....
  • Mackeroney

by Mackeroney » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:38 am

1. set the projector and the surface up before you do anything else.
    2. from the same position as the projector (i sometimes lay my camera on top of my projector & point it toward the objects) - take a picture.
    3. import that picture into software that can save files with transparent backgrounds i.e. photoshop.
    4. in your photo editing software, use the image you just took as your background and create a new layer that will end up being the actual mask.
    Black out everything you DON'T want to project onto.
    5. remove the first photo of the objects you took from step 2, then export the mask you just made. make sure to save with transparent backgrounds to avoid the space being filled in with white.
    6. in modul8 use this new image on top of whatever other layers you have set up & this will act as a mask.
    You is what you is, you ain't want you ain't.
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:35 pm

mackeroney ----

thanks; most grateful for your help.
    will have a go.

tdog.
    birdiedaboy

by birdiedaboy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Mackeroney wrote:1. set the projector and the surface up before you do anything else.
    2. from the same position as the projector (i sometimes lay my camera on top of my projector & point it toward the objects) - take a picture.
    3. import that picture into software that can save files with transparent backgrounds i.e. photoshop.
    4. in your photo editing software, use the image you just took as your background and create a new layer that will end up being the actual mask.
    Black out everything you DON'T want to project onto.
    5. remove the first photo of the objects you took from step 2, then export the mask you just made. make sure to save with transparent backgrounds to avoid the space being filled in with white.
    6. in modul8 use this new image on top of whatever other layers you have set up & this will act as a mask.

this instructions are awesome! thanks!
    Repeat after me: I am free