Software videomixer
    madsmeskalin
    activ8 member

Software videomixer

by madsmeskalin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:02 am

This is a longshot, but hey everything is possible these days.
    Is it possible to create a software videomixer, to send the output of one computer into another (Through ethernet or something) and from that computer send both outputs combined to a projector?
    Reason I ask, is that I want to be able to work on a composition with one of my friends simultanously while using a triplehead2go. It doesnt sound impossible, but what do I know?
    www.madsmeskalin.com - where dreams (notably mine) come true
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:40 pm

It's possible. But you will always get a bit of latency. I think 4 frames is the lowest you'll get by using a Matrox MX02 (Express Card slot needed on your Mac). Or you can use the software method described by Vibber / Udart. It's all on the Modul8.us blog: http://www.modul8.us/?p=93
    madsmeskalin
    activ8 member

by madsmeskalin » Mon May 03, 2010 1:10 am

I think I will try firewire first just to check it out, thanks man! But wouldnt it be lower latency with the use of a lan-cable instead?
    www.madsmeskalin.com - where dreams (notably mine) come true
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon May 03, 2010 1:14 am

madsmeskalin wrote:I think I will try firewire first just to check it out, thanks man! But wouldnt it be lower latency with the use of a lan-cable instead?

Never heard about anybody sending video over LAN-cable. Theoretically it is possible, but I don't know about the transfer speed.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 am

This is something we thought about for modul8. It's not impossible to do but on the tech side, it takes as much ressources as a "Capture to disk" rendering. We must grab every images out of the graphic card and put it in a buffer to send through lan. Then on the other side, modul8 needs to uncompress the data to use it as a media. This means a 5 to 10 images delay and it will slow down a lot the streaming computer. You won't be able to use all needed effects, the resolution you'd be able to send will not be that good, etc. We don't want to implement an option that is not really working and is not a real solution for doing that.

But I really agree, this would be a super sexy solution in a VGA configuration or multiprojection setup!