Need help with masks
  • te-c
    super8 member

Need help with masks

by te-c » Mon May 03, 2010 10:55 am

For my next project I want to do the following:

I've got a wall with a styrofoam-logo. I want to project on both different videomaterial. On the Wall a video and on the styrofoam-logo another.

But I think it doesn't work with masks in M8, cause if I lay a mask as transparent giff above the logo and antother one for the bachground on the clip in the mask-module I've got only one clip and a black logo.

Does it only work if I do the transparence in the material with aftereffects or does it work only in modul8?

Image[/img]
    /// Chuck Goldfinger ::: Live Visuals Frankfurt /// VJing, Videomapping, Stagedesign, Photography, Graphic Design and more based in Rhein-Main area ::: by bk-Art.org ///
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm

You do not need a mask for that. Just make background video larger and foreground smaller. You may need to crop the fore to fit.
    it you have non rectangle shape you have to produce the fore video to the shape with transparent edges - codec PNG+ with alpha(millions of color +). Forget GIF for ever.
  • te-c
    super8 member

by te-c » Mon May 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Oh I've written gif I mean png.
    But it's a not rectangle shape so I've got no other chance as I render out the content with the transparency. Shit, so much work now.

Thought the mask modul would be work like the masks in photoshop. That would be much easier with less work.
    /// Chuck Goldfinger ::: Live Visuals Frankfurt /// VJing, Videomapping, Stagedesign, Photography, Graphic Design and more based in Rhein-Main area ::: by bk-Art.org ///
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue May 04, 2010 9:57 am

Yes, in PS you have just one frame to blend however you like. After Effects have these masking-blending options for video fine.
    I like to do set ups like this with two projectors-computers because video with alpha is rather heavy load. I would show background with a single frame mask of the shape of your foreground on front- like blackout. From the second set I play foreground through the single frame mask - like through the hole. This way I do not need alpha channels at all and computers will not struggle.
    You can use luma or chroma key to get this on one setup too. Very easy with BW content on the front, but not so easy with color (you get transparency bleeds through some colors). But it is doable and in your case needs to remake the kontent.
    Or you could make just the background with the transparent hole in it and place it at the front layer.

Ohh, and for the mask it seems to be better than PSD to render out single frame mov with alpha channel in PNG.
  • te-c
    super8 member

by te-c » Tue May 04, 2010 12:31 pm

I've thought about the two projector-computer setup but there isn't enough space in the location for a second computer.
    So I will remake the content with alpha. The wall of the backgroundmovie will be black so I will try how good my projector is with color on this material. SMost will be shapes for the background and the Logo I projected on in the foreground will be white styrofoam so there will be more colored movie material.

It's in a small area of the club and I will use a 2800 lumen DLP projector. The last time I've used 2000 lumen and it was well on a white camvas.