Best MIDI controller for Modul8
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:22 pm

. i sometime use a pen table to do real time drawing/animation - http://vimeo.com/6887692

-james
    (a nomad. )
    FlyingLobster

by FlyingLobster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:14 pm

Hey, can you guys explain how to use two midi controllers at the samei time in M8 ?
    I did a quick tryout with my Hercules DJ RMX and an UC33, but all I got was some midi conflict since a fader on both controller was mapped to the same function...
    Is there a way to tell 'this is console 1' and 'this is console 2' to differentiate the origin of a midi signal ?

I guess the marking 'X/Y' when you do you midi mapping (ex: 1/57) means X is the controller and Y is the key on that controller ?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:39 pm

I have not used my UC33 for ages but you must be able to set the channel it sends midi within the UC33. There is a way to remap channels via MidiPipe or some other apps. And Audio-MIDI setup tool in Utilities lets you to uncheck the channel you do not wat a device to use. Then you have M8 map 1/*** device on cahannel 1 and 2/*** device on ch 2.
    Funny I have the Hercules too. I thought I can use it for scratching but M8 will see the data from turn pads as 0/127. How do you use yours?
    FlyingLobster

by FlyingLobster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:27 pm

I use the Hercules the following way:
    - no way to use the scratch pads for scratching... too bad
    - I maaped all the layer related functions to layer 2 of each group (A and B). this way I always put media in thses layers and control them immediately with the console
    - crossfader is main A/B slider
    - I mapped the equalizer knobs to the 3 rotate functions
    - the 3 main volume sliders are mapped to the color sliders (to change the color of my visuals)
    - pitch and gain per canal are set to size and speed ofg each layer 2
    - some extra effects from modules I designed are mapped to the four buttons above the main volume sliders and also to the central knowb and 4 arrow buttons

I like this config, the only thing is that I don't have enough controls to add mapping for effects and other...

But I would like to know what other people do so that I can try something else...

Also, what is missing in my setup with Hercules is the clip triggering... Now I am doing it with the UC33
    markvideo

Nono controllers

by markvideo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi
    Does anyone know if you can run two midi controllers at once? ie: a nanoPAD Slim-Line USB Controller + nanoKONTROL Slim-Line USB Controller.
    Thanx.
    FlyingLobster

by FlyingLobster » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:20 pm

I am very interested also in knowing how to easily setup two controller at the same time to control Modul8.

I know in some other posts people say you nneed to use MidiPipe... but anybody willing to give a short tutorial on how to set it up ?

I believe M8 has no multi controller native capabilities, right ?
    markvideo

Multi controllers

by markvideo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:44 pm

This is from the Modul8 people....

"Yes. You can use any combination of controllers together. I occasionally have used a NanoKontrol and M-Audio trigger finger."

FlyingLobster wrote:I am very interested also in knowing how to easily setup two controller at the same time to control Modul8.

I know in some other posts people say you nneed to use MidiPipe... but anybody willing to give a short tutorial on how to set it up ?

I believe M8 has no multi controller native capabilities, right ?
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:34 pm

The easiest way to set up multiple controllers for use in modul8 at the same time is to ensure they are all working on different MIDI channels to avoid conflicts. Refer to the controller's manual to do this
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:32 pm

FlyingLobster wrote:I know in some other posts people say you nneed to use MidiPipe... but anybody willing to give a short tutorial on how to set it up ?

. ok, quick and from memory on midiPipe -

. launch midi pad, double click 'Midi In' - it should go the the window on the right - underneath it, you should see 'MIDI Input' - set that to your controller you want to modify

. i think 'hijack' means don't let the original MIDI notes go through

. scroll down on the right hand window, select 'Channel Router' - there you can set Channel 1 to be converted to any other channel

. then you can add a Midi Out - to create a virtual output to show up in other MIDI application.

. however, the best way to do this is change which MIDI channel your controller is sending from via reprogramming it (most modern midi controllers like the korg nano stuff, have software do that ) or go through the manual and see how to reassign midi. you should also be able to send CC's down a different channel then the buttons/notes so modul8 doesn't get confused.

. download the app 'midi monitor' to see what's being sent...

-james
    (a nomad. )

• rajeevbhutani001

by rajeevbhutani001 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:16 pm

vanakaru wrote:iPad with TouchOSC. You build your own layout and use OSCulator to get Midi to map in M8.
    I have been using iPod Touch. 3 of these to have maps for different groups. Plus Korg NANOs for real knobs and sliders.
    Seems I am reddy to sell my UC33.
    Just saw it posted http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4861
    if you got cash to buy Mono.

Thanks for the information.The link given by you is very informative.
  • Echoplex

by Echoplex » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 pm

The Monome !

I got a 64 but that is so powerfull with the Monomal module.

I complete it with an iPad. Previously I was using TouchOSC but I'm testing another one called Midi Touch

http://iosmidi.com/apps/midi-touch/
  • mosu

by mosu » Tue May 10, 2011 1:18 pm

hello~
    does anyone know if codanova vmx v64 supports MIDI feedback(receiving midi signal from m8 ) ?

and I also have a touchOSC question:
    the new version v1.7.1 of touchOSC now supports core MIDI,
    so it can be setup connection via OSX MIDI network.
    and I also use Two way MIDI module to make them respond each other.

but there is the thing:
    how to setup media set connection ?
    the feedback signal doesn't match. ex: I've successfully mapped toggle buttons (and also multi toggle button) to the right media set position.
    but when I pick a different media, the status of last button can not jump back to uncheck status.

I've searched some related topic but still couldn't figure it out .
    -
    beginner from Taiwan.
  • mosu

by mosu » Sat May 14, 2011 10:54 pm

:(
    still wondering about my question...
    recently I want buy a midi controller iPad or vmx v64...
    and just want to know more about them before I make a decision..
    -
    beginner from Taiwan.
  • Hey!Cliché!

by Hey!Cliché! » Sun May 15, 2011 1:56 am

The best controller for Modul8 varies wildly based on how you want to play, whats comfortable, whats affordable, and what sort of enviroment you are in.

Personally I use a Akai MPD 24 for now, and use the pads to "play" effects, and map the faders and knobs to various other controls. I've had multiple set-ups over the years (including a BCR-2000 coupled with a M-Audio Axiom 25 key keyboard) and this is the one that I've stuck with the longest, going on about two years now. Soon I'll be switching to an iPad for my main UI controls (running touchosc) and the new Vestax Pad One for playing effects.
    Hey! Cliché! video club
  • mosu

by mosu » Sun May 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Hey!Cliché! wrote:The best controller for Modul8 varies wildly based on how you want to play, whats comfortable, whats affordable, and what sort of enviroment you are in.

Personally I use a Akai MPD 24 for now, and use the pads to "play" effects, and map the faders and knobs to various other controls. I've had multiple set-ups over the years (including a BCR-2000 coupled with a M-Audio Axiom 25 key keyboard) and this is the one that I've stuck with the longest, going on about two years now. Soon I'll be switching to an iPad for my main UI controls (running touchosc) and the new Vestax Pad One for playing effects.

so how do you map the media set? or you just use them via mouse?
    -
    beginner from Taiwan.