Rendering settings for web posting
    FlyingLobster

Rendering settings for web posting

by FlyingLobster » Mon May 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Hey,

I would like to make some disk renderings while VJing to post them on the web (youtube, vimeo).
    Could you recommend some settings to have proper quality and small filesize ?

I tried photo-jpeg in 640x480@25fps, and I get a file which is 72MB for 1 minute... a bit too much if I want to upload some 3 minutes set...

Thanks

PS: by proper quality I mean enough quality so that the clips can be used to show my works to some clients... if it looks too bad, it's useless...
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: Rendering settings for web posting

by vanakaru » Tue May 18, 2010 7:22 am

The best and most easy is to Export For Web from Quicktime Pro. You get 3 options with different data rate. Get all 3 and compare quality.
    Also it is best to put your videos up on Vimeo. This way you can just give a client the address - no need to mess with sending large files. And Vimeo versus Youtube looks really professional and respectful so does it excellent coding specially if you buy pro account.
    FlyingLobster

by FlyingLobster » Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 am

Well in my case I would like to bypass the step with encoding for web with QT pro.
    I am sure there should be some settings in rendering in M8 which gives you a good file that can be uploaded immediately in Vimeo...
    Would you confirm that ?
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 pm

use h264
  • alfredbanze

hdv

by alfredbanze » Tue May 18, 2010 10:00 pm

i am using 720p30fr hdv for video editing and m8, also doing logical record in m8 with that codec. its not to big and also a good compromize in speed. its also very good for upload to youtube. longer clips for youtube i export to > ipod which is mpg4 ..
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Tue May 18, 2010 10:45 pm

I'll second the use of QT pro. It will give you more options. But there might be some other freeware program that does the job for you too. Both Youtube and Vimeo has instructions for the best rendering settings on their sites.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue May 18, 2010 11:57 pm

. i usually capture in photo-jpeg (for live stuff - involving cameras) or animation (for sequenced recording) then use MPEGStreamClip to convert to H.264. then i upload the smaller file to Vimeo

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed May 19, 2010 8:57 am

FlyingLobster wrote:Well in my case I would like to bypass the step with encoding for web with QT pro.

I capture a *master* with the least compressed codec for future use as a content. You should try maybe compare how direct H.264 and QT for Web will look and what are the file sises. Usually I do not use any preset encoders - Qt is the only one I find surprisingly good on Vimeo.