change layer automatically and modulate them by audio
  • neils

change layer automatically and modulate them by audio

by neils » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:14 am

Hello,

for an art-installation I need to change automatically a few layers in a specific time.
    While they change, they have to modulate in size and color with help of the sound analysis.
    The first layer is a text layer with live text update (I use the fantastic "xt.text.layer.modul"), the others are only layers with small films and pictures. All layers are in the same layer group.

I tried the global record function without success. It is true possible to record the layer changing, but it is not possible to modulate the layer during playback. Also the xt.text.layer.modul doesn't work during playback.

Now my questions: Is it possible to realize my idea without to write a extra modul/programm?
    And if it's possible, how could it work and what I have to do?

Thanks for quick help!

greets, neils
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm not quite sure why you experience that it is not possible to modulate the layer during playback. I find that you can easily work with modul8 while playing back the recording. The changes do not get added to the recording though, perhaps that's what you mean?

Anyway - another idea might be to hook up Modul8 to midi and then use a midi sequencer to control the timing. It might be a bit of work though, teaching yourself another app (like ableton live) and channeling the midi, but I think it should be possible. Also it should work with the module I think without having tested it.
  • neils

automatically start saved logical render

by neils » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:29 am

@ vibber: Thanks, for your help. I tried it again and it works fine.

Now I have to solve another problem.
    How can I automatically start the logical render I saved in my project.
    I would like to automate my mac G5 to open a specified modul8-file and start to play the last logical render which is saved in the project and start the output.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:06 am

I was going to say that you need a small module for starting the playback of your recording but I gave it a quick look and I don't think this can be done (there's no keyword for this action)

So again I think you need to trigger via midi. Map the button to midi and find a small app for that or you might need a sequencer like ableton live. Or - just an idea - build a small patch in Quartz composer that sends the midi.

Just ideas - I haven't actually done this.