Mapping one Layer to several projection surfaces
  • Joerg

Mapping one Layer to several projection surfaces

by Joerg » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to modul8 and are using it since june mostly for creative Video in concert shows.
    Now I was asked to do projection work for a record preview show in a huge swimming pool area where several different white surfaces are hanging from the ceiling and the band wishes to have their show projected on those very surfaces.

The content that was specified for that show used to be played on several distributed LED panels. So the content already kind of fits the new environment apart from moving from LED to projection. And hence I'm running into the problem of having to map my existing show to these surfaces which are not orthogonal to the (single) projector.

So after reading many of the threads about mapping, I understand that I can use perspective transform (filter or module) and since a few weeks also the mapmapmap plugin to conveniently map layers to the surfaces.

Now heres my problem:
    On my existing show I use seperate layers for each LED-Segment as well as some "Master" Layers which provide their content over the full LED Wall. This is no problem, as the "LED-mapping" is done through addressing the LED Panels.
    But how can I achieve that when projecting and using perspective Transform/mapping??

Basically I have some clips, that e.g. show a spiral playing over ALL surfaces or arrows flying from left to right. I understand, that by using perspective transform, I can assign one visual only to one surface. But how could I be able to have that e.g. Spiral to play over all surfaces or the arrows to travel along all my surfaces (while of course being correctly transformed/rendered for each surface?)

Is there a way at all to achieve such a thing in modul8 or would my only option be to move to some other media server platform for this?

Thank you so much in advance,
    Joerg
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:31 pm

If I understand you correctly you will have to prepare your media a bit differently.

Cut your media into pieces in a video editor app e.g. after effects so that you have one file for each projection surface. Put these files in seperate layers. You can then use MapMapMap or perspective transform on each of those layers.

Since the perpective trnasform applies to layers not output screens I think this is the only option.
  • Joerg

by Joerg » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:48 pm

alright - so that really seams to be my only option then.

And then I would probably use a plugin like media to layers to get all files started at the same time hence recombining to the movie they were before?

Thanks a lot Udart!