tip for migrating loops
  • comatory

tip for migrating loops

by comatory » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:02 am

So as the manual says, the best way to work with media in M8 is by using photojpeg codec, right?

I have hardrive full of loops that I used to use on PC with Resolume. Fortunately I have also copies of them, masters in DV AVI format.

I am looking for a good way to convert them to photoJPEG codec as I want to use something that won't hog the processor too much. I have Premiere Pro CS5 but it has no batch export function, somehow Media Encoder is missing the export options.

Handbrake will only let me use h.264 codecs.

I was thinking what do you guys use. Is purchasing Quicktime Pro a good idea?
  • Jordan

If you have the budget go for

by Jordan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:18 am

Canopus Procoder 3. Otherwise, download the FREE "Any video converter"
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:19 am

. i think that if you have Perian (to be able to read the WinTel video formats) installed, you can use MPEGStreamclip to do bulk converts.

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • comatory

by comatory » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:59 am

Oh how I long for ProCoder 3! I used to have it on my win PC, best piece of software ever done! They need to make Mac version.

I will look into MPEGStreamclip.

Thanks.
  • comatory

by comatory » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 pm

What about codecs.

PhotoJPEG has pretty big size, almost the same as AVI DV codec.

I was wondering about performance, which one will do better. I will be using pretty long sequences (even 3-4 mins long).
  • Jordan

by Jordan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:07 pm

No solution for the size... You can always try to reduce the quality. Buy 1tb firewire 800 2.5" HDD and you're set.
  • sneha123

by sneha123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:21 am

Hello friends,,,,sneha here,,,I was thinking what do you guys use. Is purchasing Quicktime Pro a good idea?........please hope you help us,,,,,
    dmx513

by dmx513 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:49 pm

lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:47 pm

You should always install Perian on your mac as it'll no doubt save your ass if someone gives you a clip in some obscure codec at a gig and you need to transcode.

If you've got FCP or any of the Apple pro apps installed then using Compressor is your best bet for bulk transcodes.
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 pm

sneha123 wrote:Is purchasing Quicktime Pro a good idea?

QT Pro is not the best solution for converting a ton of clips. It is however extremely cheap and very powerful.

Example: Open movie, select in via "I" key, select out via "O", Copy via Command-C, create new via Command-N, paste via Command-V.

This can be done in about two seconds. You have just extracted a clip from a longer video. I can edit with QT Pro, cuts only of course.

Also if you have Final Cut Pro installed you already have QuickTime Pro.

Final Cut Pro, iTunes, iMovie, MPEGStream Clip, ProCoder etc. are all just fancy GUI's that use QuickTime as the core. iTunes is just a database program that feeds commands to Quicktime.
  • sannu123

by sannu123 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 pm

VjKg wrote:
    sneha123 wrote:Is purchasing Quicktime Pro a good idea?

QT Pro is not the best solution for converting a ton of clips. It is however extremely cheap and very powerful.

Example: Open movie, select in via "I" key, select out via "O", Copy via Command-C, create new via Command-N, paste via Command-V.

This can be done in about two seconds. You have just extracted a clip from a longer video. I can edit with QT Pro, cuts only of course.

Also if you have Final Cut Pro installed you already have QuickTime Pro.

Final Cut Pro, iTunes, iMovie, MPEGStream Clip, ProCoder etc. are all just fancy GUI's that use QuickTime as the core. iTunes is just a database program that feeds commands to Quicktime.

Thanks for nice suggestion in this post,,,,,useful information according this thread,,,,,thanks for the post.....