video & light synch
  • blender two

video & light synch

by blender two » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:22 am

Hi! Im new to this forum. have some questions respective the dmx feature in general and synch between video and light.
    For better understanding i attached 3 graphics of the set up or rather stage.

Pictures:
    What you see is the sketch of my diploma. Mixture between video and light-show. sorry i don´t get pictures into the post. do i have to switch html to "on"?
    1 First graphic is just for the mood. Colors are limited to white, black and the mixture inbetween.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61006026@N03/5558369743/
    2 colored the lights. just for you, to understand which lights are real and which are on the projection screen.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61006026@N03/5558369743/
    red - physical light blue - projected lights
    3 just the top view
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61006026@N03/5558369811/

description: the only attribute thats relevant here in this topic, is that video and light have to be synchronal.
    If you need more information, just ask.

questions:
    1. I don´t get the dmx feature. Do i need the enttec, to get startet or is there something like a simulation tool?
    Someone knows good tutorials about the use of dmx in generel and especially for M8?

2. Is it possible to create light scenes, which describe a selected progression. Conditions like fade from 0% (light off)
    to 100% (light on) in combination with the time.

3. Is it possible to synch video and light. My association is: I press a button, the selected video starts and automatically
    the assigned light scene begins to run. Whats about two computers, one runs modul 8 and the other runs modul 8 or
    another dmx software. could i controlle both with one i-pad (touch osc). example: i touch a button on the ipad.
    on the first computer it gives the impulse to star a assigned video on the other computer it give the impulse to
    paly a dmx scene.

i thank you for you answers or helpfull links[/img]
  • anomad
    master

Re: video & light synch

by anomad » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:06 pm

. welcome to the forums!

blender two wrote:questions:
    1. I don´t get the dmx feature. Do i need the enttec, to get startet or is there something like a simulation tool?
    Someone knows good tutorials about the use of dmx in generel and especially for M8?

. it is my understanding that you need the Enttec USB controller if you're going to use DMX in Modul8

blender two wrote:2. Is it possible to create light scenes, which describe a selected progression. Conditions like fade from 0% (light off)
    to 100% (light on) in combination with the time.

. this should be possible, but you'll need to write a module to do that (don't worry, modules are pretty easy to create once you get the hang of it) a lot of the design will depend on how you're tracking 'time'... time of the video clip? time of a MIDI sequence? etc.

blender two wrote:3. Is it possible to synch video and light. My association is: I press a button, the selected video starts and automatically the assigned light scene begins to run. Whats about two computers, one runs modul 8 and the other runs modul 8 or
    another dmx software. could i controlle both with one i-pad (touch osc). example: i touch a button on the ipad. on the first computer it gives the impulse to star a assigned video on the other computer it give the impulse to paly a dmx scene.

. you would not need two computer to do this - one system just running dmx would be overkill. also, it depends on the complexity of the light scene you're running. it's possible to use the position of the video (from 0.0 to 1.0) to change the lights - but that might not be feasible if you're trying to do complex lighting scenes.

. you might look into MiniStageConsole (http://www.chromakinetics.com/DMX/miniS ... leHelp.htm ) for the DMX part, if you're creating lighting scenes

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • Drazkers

by Drazkers » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:38 am

For something like this I would use a lighting board to control your lights and modul8. It would make Your life alot easier. If your school has a theatre department they may have an older lighting board that has been replaced.