Recording Clips from Live Video Capture
  • B3Bear

Recording Clips from Live Video Capture

by B3Bear » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:42 am

I'm looking for a way to record/capture the video from one of the four live Video Inputs, and then play it back later, all via midi control.

I'm using Modul8 with Alelton Live, which I do a lot of live looping with. Modul8 runs the video part of my live act, which is all pre-programmed and controlled via midi. So what I'd like to do is be able to not only loop the audio but loop the video as well. Not only would people be hearing the looped audio (say a beatbox loop) but they'll be seeing the video of when that audio loop was recorded. Or for instance, say Ableton captures a "loop" or sample of my vocals on the first chorus. When the second chorus comes around Ableton plays that loop back and I sing harmony. Ideally I'd like the video of me singing the first chorus to play on the monitors, in sync with the audio. Besides being super cool it also would help people get that it's being looped live and I'm not just using a backing track.

Hopefully there's a way to do this with a module or workaround, but it would be cool to see this added as a feature that would allow you to record a clip from a live cam right to one of the boxes on the media panel. :D
  • kollektiveWahrnehmung

by kollektiveWahrnehmung » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:14 am

I'm looking for the same feature! I'm not using Ableton and I don't need any audio recorded, but it would be nice to quickly create your own video loops...

Any hints on PlugIns or modules?
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

Re: Recording Clips from Live Video Capture

by bareimage » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:56 am

B3Bear wrote:I'm looking for a way to record/capture the video from one of the four live Video Inputs, and then play it back later, all via midi control.

I'm using Modul8 with Alelton Live, which I do a lot of live looping with. Modul8 runs the video part of my live act, which is all pre-programmed and controlled via midi. So what I'd like to do is be able to not only loop the audio but loop the video as well. Not only would people be hearing the looped audio (say a beatbox loop) but they'll be seeing the video of when that audio loop was recorded. Or for instance, say Ableton captures a "loop" or sample of my vocals on the first chorus. When the second chorus comes around Ableton plays that loop back and I sing harmony. Ideally I'd like the video of me singing the first chorus to play on the monitors, in sync with the audio. Besides being super cool it also would help people get that it's being looped live and I'm not just using a backing track.

Hopefully there's a way to do this with a module or workaround, but it would be cool to see this added as a feature that would allow you to record a clip from a live cam right to one of the boxes on the media panel. :D

Here is my fifty cents. Assuming that I have understood you correctly. Try using modul8 syphon output with advanced displays enabled. Have syphon recorder running, as the sound output device use "sound flower". This can be downloaded for free from the Cycling 74 website. As the sound output in Ableton select soundflower. This will pipe the sound fror the ableton, let the modul8 react to the sound and record the outcome. Syphon Recorder seems faster then render to disk option
  • B3Bear

by B3Bear » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:30 am

Wow, I just saw these replies. Thought I had it set up to send me an email. Sorry for the delay!

bareimage, it sounds like you're talking about audio. Simply put, my point is there should be a feature to allow you to record a clip right into your media bank from one of your four live Capture cams. Right now you can show live video from your cam, or you can show a pre-recorded media clip, but can't "capture" from the live cam to a media clip. Simple, powerful, and very useful. Hopefully we'll see it in a future version.

bareimage wrote:
    B3Bear wrote:I'm looking for a way to record/capture the video from one of the four live Video Inputs, and then play it back later, all via midi control.

Here is my fifty cents. Assuming that I have understood you correctly. Try using modul8 syphon output with advanced displays enabled. Have syphon recorder running, as the sound output device use "sound flower". This can be downloaded for free from the Cycling 74 website. As the sound output in Ableton select soundflower. This will pipe the sound fror the ableton, let the modul8 react to the sound and record the outcome. Syphon Recorder seems faster then render to disk option
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:00 am

B3Bear wrote: Simple, powerful, and very useful. Hopefully we'll see it in a future version.

I do not see the point. If you want to do it properly you have all the tools available already. But adding more tasks to one computer does not make much sense.
    Also this seems to be very special need, so I would not care if this would be added to M8. Maybe as a module so I can ignore it if I do not need it.
  • B3Bear

by B3Bear » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:42 am

Forget about my use, or maybe you're not following the feature I'd like to see. Why wouldn't you want to "capture" a live clip from one of your cams for use later, like any other piece of media. You have live cams and you have prerecorded media. But you can't take a shot from your live cam and make it a media clip.

Say you're doing a wedding and you grab the shot of the garter routine (while it's being shown of the projection screens), save it as a clip in your media bank, and pull it back up on the screens during their first dance and put effects on it, etc. Or maybe it's a rave and you grabs some shots of hot dancers and loop them. Whatever.

And what are the tools to do that already? How would you "intercept" the live cam feed before it gets to modul, "capture" it to a file, then import it into moduls media banks? You could shoot the garter thing with a separate cam, then import it into your media library I guess. It would be a different shot, technically, and a pain in the butt.

It's funny they are using the term Capture to refer to the four live cams that are available in the media banks, when nothing is really being captured. It's more like streaming. Captured usually means data is being saved to a file. :lol:
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:52 am

I agree about the term 'Capture' being incorrect. I have argued in the past to rename this 'Live Feed' but old habits die hard.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 am

Sounds very special need to me.
    I see problem searching through the captured clip to find a sequence you want to use in live show. Also how would you find a sequence of in clip that is constantly recording.
    You can do some capture of live feed via Syphon as suggested.
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:43 am

Actually, this is slightly more complicated from a technical point of view. As David often says 'anything is possible' however there are some aspects of how the engine works, resource allocations etc. that make actual capturing while doing all those other wonderful things that Modul8 does that would compromise playback/performance.

You have to remember that when you are capturing video on your computer there is not much else you can do because the computer is writing the video to disk, and this is quite intensive.

I am sure there is a way somehow to load a small sequence into memory. Allocating resources and prioritizing for such an effort is up to the development team.
  • bangnoise

by bangnoise » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:15 pm

B3Bear - I have a Quartz Composer video (or anything) Sampler plugin. It doesn't save the loops to disk, but you could use multiple instances to build up a bank during each performance. It's designed to work like hardware audio samplers.

Integration with Modul8 would be difficult as IIRC Modul8 won't load 3rd party QC plugins - or perhaps you're not tied to Modul8 for this performance.

Someone had a video on Vimeo using it alongside Live to do pretty much exactly what you describe, but it seems to have vanished today...
  • B3Bear

by B3Bear » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:31 am

vanakaru wrote:Sounds very special need to me.
    I see problem searching through the captured clip to find a sequence you want to use in live show. Also how would you find a sequence of in clip that is constantly recording.
    You can do some capture of live feed via Syphon as suggested.

No, you'd hit a little record button on any empty media slot, choose the source, and it would start recording until you hit stop, or something like that. Then you could use it like any other piece of media.

As far and the Syphon suggestion, I don't really follow it, but it didn't seem to me to be a solution to "record" live video clips and then play them back. Forget audio. I wish I hadn't even brought audio up. This idea isn't about audio. Assume there is no audio involved in my project or this suggested feature.

I appreciate any feedback, so thanks bareimage, but your idea ended with "...This will pipe the sound fror the ableton, let the modul8 react to the sound and record the outcome...". It sounds like he's talking about piping the sound from Modul8 to ableton, and then back into modul8 for it to react (through effects?) to it? Or am I misunderstanding that idea?

ilan wrote:Actually, this is slightly more complicated from a technical point of view...

Well that I don't know anything about, but keep up the great work! :D I'm only saying that this would be a worthwhile feature to have. To bridge the gap between the Live "Capture" feeds and the recorded media banks.

I'd like to be able to grab clips from any of the 4 cams even if they're not currently being used in any outputed displays. However, it would also be very useful (perhaps more so for some) and cool to be able to capture clips off one of your display outputs. So you could hit record button on a media slot, choose the source (a cam or in this case a display) and then perform a complicated live mix sequence with your super talented fingertips and blow the rooms mind. Then hit stop and it's now it's a clip in your media bank. :D

Not every feature in Modul8 is used or needed by every user, but IMHO I think this one would be used and appreciated by many.

bangnoise wrote:B3Bear - I have a Quartz Composer video (or anything) Sampler plugin. It doesn't save the loops to disk, but you could use multiple instances to build up a bank during each performance. It's designed to work like hardware audio samplers.

Integration with Modul8 would be difficult as IIRC Modul8 won't load 3rd party QC plugins - or perhaps you're not tied to Modul8 for this performance.

Someone had a video on Vimeo using it alongside Live to do pretty much exactly what you describe, but it seems to have vanished today...

Thanks for that info, I'll check it out. :) It sounds like a possible solution for me, though I still think it's worthy feature to add to Modul8. There's probably something I can use to make the 4 cams available to Quartz Composer and Modul8 at the same time (or can macs do that already?). Then I could grab/play the video clips in Quartz Composer, and then somehow pipe the output into modul8?
  • B3Bear

by B3Bear » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:20 am

I'm going to take the lack of replies as a good thing. :P

For the record, I've refined this :idea: in my wishlist thread:
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtop ... 0006#20006
  • B3Bear

by B3Bear » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:56 am

bangnoise wrote:B3Bear - I have a Quartz Composer video (or anything) Sampler plugin. It doesn't save the loops to disk, but you could use multiple instances to build up a bank during each performance. It's designed to work like hardware audio samplers.

bangnoise, I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to thank you but your plugin did the trick, and I've premiered my Looptastic Spectacular on You Tube. The video looping looked AWESOME and I gave you a (heartfelt) shoutout in the description. Wish: to be able to stop and start a sample once you take it. :)

Bear's Looptastic Spectacular - World Premiere:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNmjmSrrLUI
  • bangnoise

by bangnoise » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Wish: to be able to stop and start a sample once you take it.

In QC, if you set the Sampler's timebase to external and attach a stopwatch, you can pause a sample by manipulating the stopwatch - or slow it down, speed it up, etc.
  • B3Bear

by B3Bear » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:22 am

Sweet. Do I need to be a math genius to get it to start from the beginning?