best way to use same midi controller for 2 modul8s?
  • jockety
    activ8 member

best way to use same midi controller for 2 modul8s?

by jockety » Thu May 05, 2011 3:22 am

i'd like to use 1 akai apc40 to control 2 modul8s on 2 mbp's with same midi map. Is there such a thing as a usb splitter? or would it make more sense to resend the midi via lan? fanks in advance modul8erz =)
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Thu May 05, 2011 9:15 am

use the network (global) module
    if you want to copycat a bunch of actions from different modul8.
    i already controled 3 modul8 with 1 ipad with TouchOSC.
    otherwise you can also create a midi network session with the new core midi through wifi
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Does using core midi through wifi require a wifi router? do i need to download core midi wifi from anywhere to get it? i did a quick google search + didnt come up with anything. thanks for the info so far lupin =)
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Thu May 05, 2011 2:00 pm

first Core MIDI only works with iOS which means you need to connect through an ipad/ipod or iphone

you don't need a router to use the coreMIDI, just create a local wifi network with your computer then go to the MIDI setup, choose the Network patch and configure a session then register a controller to this network

actually, i'm no certain that you can connect multiple computers.
    if you have the ability to modify a module, you'd rather make a copy of the Network(global) module and route midi signal to your needs.

otherwise, you can try this third part software: ipMidi
    http://www.nerds.de/en/ipmidi.html

i never tried it, if you do, please share your experience
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
  • kallis

by kallis » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:10 am

I too was looking for some information on how to use core midi through wifi without wifirouter from long ago, but I was unable to get exact information about it, anyhow information shared by lupin really helped me to some extent. Now i am looking to go for the third software but before going for this,I am looking for some information like the feedback form the users,how much time will it take to setup the entire things etc.I am also not sure whether it will work on more than one computer or not,have to try it before making any comment on this.any information on this will be appreciated.