Bi Linear Filtering Explained.
    lotech
    ultim8 member

Bi Linear Filtering Explained.

by lotech » Tue May 31, 2011 4:20 am

I thought I'd post a little tip explaining Bi Linear filtering and why its great to be on by default most of the time but also why could cause you headaches other times.

What is it?
    From wikipedia: "Bilinear filtering is a texture filtering method used to smooth textures when displayed larger or smaller than they actually are."

In Modul8 this is set to ON by default but can be set on a per clip basis via each clips info panel in the media set screen. There is also a module, (vs) Antialias Mediaset (master), which allows you to set Bi Linear on/off to all clips in a specific media set.

So whats the difference?
    When would you want to use bi linear filtering (or not)? Here are two examples I've made that show bi linear filtering in action. Theses are direct screen grabs of Modul8s output.

Comparison 1 - Low res clip (512x384) scaled up:
    Left is Off, Right On. Clearly it smooths over pixel distortion as a result of scaling a video.

Image Image

Comparison 2 - 32x32 Pixel Image scaled up.
    Left is Off, Right On. This is where setting bi linear to off gives you a better result and keeps the original 8bit pixel sharpness.

Image Image
  • seanc_mtl

Re: Bi Linear Filtering Explained.

by seanc_mtl » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:52 pm

thanks
    orion
    super8 member

Re: Bi Linear Filtering Explained.

by orion » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:33 am

noce tip, thank you!