How to Cheaply Output up to 5 Displays from a Laptop/iMac
  • B3Bear

by B3Bear » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:17 am

After a very busy 5 weeks I finished my project, complete with a pre-programmed midi controlled robotic track cam, video looping, DMX lights and more. :D I uploaded the video to YouTube at 2am this morning so I've finally got the time to update this thread. It turns out despite the Mac Pro I bought I did need to use the USB adaptor after all and it's in the video and worked great. Of course it was outputting a digitally zoomed webcam image at 480p so it doesn't prove anything. hehe

Actually now that I've used it more, I've found that full motion video does look crappy at higher then 480. But in SD it works great.

The reason I had to use it was the only way I could quickly figure to trigger Quartz Composer to Run was to use a program that converts midi to keystrokes (MidiStroke) and send a Command R but for that to work the Viewer had to be on top and therefore modul8 (I assumed but never tested) couldn't be in full screen on the main desktop, so therefore for my 2nd screen (the plasma not the rear projection) was coming from the DisplayLink.

Bear's Looptastic Spectacular - World Premiere:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNmjmSrrLUI
  • LexPelle

Re: How to Cheaply Output up to 5 Displays from a Laptop/iMa

by LexPelle » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:19 am

Hey! Thank you for this suggestion. I've been struggling with a TripleHead2Go Digital, which wasn't outputting the middle channel. After reading this post, I figured to get three of the UGA-I25 off Amazon and give it a try. Tested with three Casio XJ & DisplayLink yesterday. Up and running in 5 minutes. I have questions about outputting to full screen though, because its showing up as three separate extra displays & not a single expanded. Any advice would be appreciated!

edit: successful full screen set-up with VDMX5 8.05 beta in advance output. 3 Casio XJ projectors running for a linear 3840x800 spread. Since I can drag the displays in any order, I'll be trying a triangular arrangement next week. Suggestion for soft edge blending or spatial scanning? Projecting on the underside of a bridge and would like to highlight the architecture.
  • B3Bear

Re: How to Cheaply Output up to 5 Displays from a Laptop/iMa

by B3Bear » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:50 am

Dunno about that, but my matrox dual went tits up right in the middle of my last video shoot (the first half of the super gay video below) and thank God I could pull out my DisplayLink to run the left side of the screen. Not really full motion video but seemed to work great. Have another shoot soon that will be a better test. However I should point out the tests I did before were for full hd video and sd, where know I realize my XGA projectors use 1024x768, so it may work better then I thought. We'll see soon enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak-J7988aio