which midi controler
  • bratch
    super8 member

which midi controler

by bratch » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:55 pm

Hello,
    i'd like to buy a midi controler but i don't know which one to take. Does anybody knows which midi controler is the most appropriate for M8?
    Thanx
  • stuart
    activ8 member

by stuart » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:25 pm

I would say that this depends on what parameters/functions you wish to control. Are you wanting to control lots of layer opacity or clip triggering or effects parameters?
  • bratch
    super8 member

by bratch » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:53 pm

actually, i don't know, or i would say "all of this" :lol: i've found this, i think it can be interesting but i'm not a midi user yet, so i don't know what to choose. Please, check this
    http://www.mawzer.com/
    It looks interesting and modular ! :wink:
  • martymartin

by martymartin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:20 pm

The Mawzer does indeed look very interesting but a lot of people have been waiting a long time for this and still NOTHING.
    You could have a look at the Evolution UC-33e. It seems quite a few people around here are using that at the minute (myself included) and it's much cheaper!
  • stuart
    activ8 member

by stuart » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:23 pm

I use the UC-33e and am happy with it but If I were wanting to do a lot of clip selection from it I would want something else. For opacity and the control of a few parameters it works very well.
  • bratch
    super8 member

by bratch » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:38 pm

OK, thanks for these answers guys !. Do you know if there's a big difference between UC-33e and BCF 2000?
  • mEPHIS7O

by mEPHIS7O » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:49 am

far away in my opoinion the most complete controller and best performance (usb) technology are the novation products.

http://www.novationmusic.com/
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:41 am

they seem good quality, but keyboards are not really apropriate to modul8... as the keys reaks as a knob so if you release the key, the value will be set to 0... I don't think it's so funny to keep your fingers on the key with certain pressure for certain values... and you only have 10 finger :roll:
  • jm302
    super8 member

by jm302 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:27 pm

sigma6 wrote:they seem good quality, but keyboards are not really apropriate to modul8... as the keys reaks as a knob so if you release the key, the value will be set to 0... I don't think it's so funny to keep your fingers on the key with certain pressure for certain values... and you only have 10 finger :roll:

Greetings,

I use a Novation Remote25 and think it's pretty rockin. It has knobs, buttons and faders... if I assign different clips to the keyboard keys, I can select a layer with one of the buttons and then trigger different clips on that layer with the keys... pretty simple really.

The thing I really like about the Remove25 is you can, for example, assign a fader to only use values 0-5, so with the trace turned up all the way, the short throw on the opacity works well. Hope that makes sense... it's still very early here and I'm not sure I'm awake enough to make comprehensible posts.

Cheers,
    Justin
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist" -- Anonymous

http://www.302acid.com
  • mantaraffu

trigger finger

by mantaraffu » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:00 pm

yo. I use a m-audio trigger finger, it look build for modul8.
  • Wayne

Behringer BCR2000

by Wayne » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:45 am

I have ordered one and expect to get it in a few days. I've read good things about it, and how can you go wrong with something with so many knobs? Modul8 NEEDS knobs!

At the top, you get 8 knobs/buttons which support 4 banks, for 32 knobs/buttong. (Each knob can be turned as a dial and also pressed as a button.)

Then there are 20 buttons. Then 24 more knobs.

All of the knobs are endless and you have more LEDs to indicate settings than you can hake a stick at. I believe you can also save/recall up to 32 settings, too.
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:16 pm

yeah modul8 defintily needs knobs .
    that's why i'm using the BCF2000 but I think the BCR2000 is a great controler too. once the Midi Out will be enabled on M8 the motorized BCF2000 will be a gorgeous solution. You can also ask Legoman about his experience of the BCF2000 .
    if you have a lots of bucks you can order a Lemur :twisted:
    hehe . what i especially like on the BCF2000 is infinite pots and programs. it's very useful when you wanna switch between focus, positon or layerset+position bindings
    before i was using a Korg microcontroler before it burned out (R.I.P.)
    i was doing my gigs with resolume and i never had the opportyunity to test it with modul8 biut i can figure out it could be a good controller, you have all inone: 8pots, 8sliders, a 16 Button pad and a keyboard

... i miss my Korg..
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
  • xno

Lemur

by xno » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:22 am

This is not exactly a MIDI controller and not very affordable but I saw it in action and, believe me, it pretty much renders MIDI controllers meaningless...

www.jazzmutant.com
    Record>Splinter>Scramble
    www.xnografikz.com
  • brain

by brain » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:56 pm

Faderfox http://www.faderfox.de has just released a new midi controller with 16 rotary encoders (multifunctional as knobs and buttons). I have recieved mine a week ago and did some indepth testing with good results.

The LD2 is mainly targeted at Ableton Live users; the labeling on the top plate mirrors several Live setups which are provided on a CD.

The good point for VJs: beyond three preprogrammed Live setups you may use 9 more empty memory banks for your own setups. This makes it easy to adapt the LD2 for many softwares. The LD2 does NOT come with a configuration software, but some parameters can be programmed in the hardware's system mode. But in my experience, it is sufficient to configure your controls from within your software.
    When programming your own setup, you may route each encoder to whatever control in your software. You may assign 6 different control sets to the buttons on the bottom. This way you can easily access 6 x 16 controls without even entering system mode (which would give you another 8 x 6 x 16 controls!). As an example, i use one set to trigger clips (the buttons are mirroring a 4x4 clip bank of modul8). Another set is used to steer color parameters, one is for filters etc.

The rotary controls are endless, which means you can easily switch between layers in Modul8 and change parameters without value jumps. If the encoders are pushed, the active state is indicated by LED. Active states are memory-stored individually for each set, so no collisions here (which is different with some other controllers where buttons actually stay pressed down). One tiny drawback is the physical grid of the encoders which have 24 stops on a 360 degree turn. On some value changes this might be visible.

On the top you will find a track selector with forward and back button and 12 LEDs; i use this to browse between clip banks.

The LD2 is very compact and of professional build quality. Recommended.

–––
    edited to add:

after more heavy testing and using of the LD2 i would now like to share some more info. i have developed and happily used a midi setup to combine the LD2 with modul8. you may download an 8-page info PDF which describes a suggested control setup from our website:

http://www.eyetrap.net/hardware/PDF/LD2_Setup-1.pdf
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:59 pm

Definitely agree that Trigger Finger is the m8 controller of choice. Especially if one plans on performing by triggering clips with the music with songs like with a band or singer. It is with the TF that this connection that a human being is playing the visuals is really evident.

Don't love knobs. If it were a choice it would be lots of faders as well as two jog dials.

Could go on about this but will stop now.