MIDI doesnt work am I doing something wrong?
  • kikumoto

MIDI doesnt work am I doing something wrong?

by kikumoto » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:19 pm

For starters do both the MIDI in and out ports of the controlling device have to be connected to modul8 in order for them to work?

Anyhow for some reason when I allocate an effect to a MIDI note it only works for a while then stops working! not sure why, has anyone else had this problem? :roll: :roll:
  • moonbase
    super8 member

by moonbase » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:58 pm

Only the midi 'out' of your controller has to go to the 'in' on the computer running M8.
    'Note' is not the most useful bit of midi info sometimes. It can work for selecting media ...
    and if you make it 'toggle' it can work for turning stuff on/off depending on your controller.
    'CC' or 'Continuous Controller' is more useful for operating anything rotary or linear - knobs, levels, faders etc.
    What controller are you using? What aspect of M8 are you trying to affect?
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

by JJHP3 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 am

Just to note about this wonderful but unfinished program.... MIDI notes and controllers are seen as the same thing... MIDI chl #1 note 60 (seen strangely as 60/1) also stands for MIDI chl #1 cc #60 (60/1). This is something we all should request to be fixed!

John
  • moonbase
    super8 member

by moonbase » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:29 pm

Aha, that may explain some of the ideosyncratic midi behaviour I notice occasionally! Nice one JJHP3.
    I hope this is sorted in the next version; must be on the list.
    This might also account for some of the other unexplained midi problem posts that seem to crop up here from time to time.

:)
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:33 am

Yes, Note On/Off and Control messages are considered the same. For most of the people it is not a problem, but I agree that in some specific case it is not ideal.

We are going to change that for the 3.0, but it is too late for the 2.5.

Possible work around in the meantime is to use different channels depending of the kind messages.

Yves.
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

by JJHP3 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:25 pm

Hi Yves - but I think the issue is more than a "few specific needs"... by combining notes and controllers you lose 1/2 of the available midi control on that channel. I do use different channels for notes and controllers now that I figured out what was going on and of course that works, but it seems kludgy. I also would be very helpful to me to have the channel number then the note or controller number on-screen rather than the way it is now - all the other midi programs I use have it Chl/## not ##/Chl so I'm always having to write down what's what with M8. Or is this like the order of days and months - different parts of the world order things differently?

Best,

John
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:47 pm

Currently in Modul8 we write "midi channel/midi note" not "midi note/midi channel"... juste like any other application...

I guess what you would like to see is:

"midi channel/event type/midi note"

I agree that having the "event type" (which basically could be NOTE_OFF, NOTE_ON, POLY_AFTERTOUCH, CONTROL_CHANGE, MODE_CHANGE, AFTERTOUCH, PITCHBEND, etc.) would be useful and clearer.

Currently it is possible to grab this information in the DirectEvent of the module system, however I agree that it is not a true solution (writing a module only to get the event type is ridiculously complicated).

So yes, we'll fix that for the V3.0... The V2.5 is reaching the end of its developing cycle and we don't plan to delay its release further...
  • martymartin

by martymartin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:59 pm

Yeah, please don't delay the release :D
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

by JJHP3 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:04 am

My greatest apologies Yves - I was wrong about my recollections of the midi chl and note order... hard to imagine why was I'm programming in it all day for two large upcoming shows! Off to work with your amazing program (and really looking forward to 2.5) -

John