anybody using ableton live with modul8?
  • bighairmusic

anybody using ableton live with modul8?

by bighairmusic » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:45 pm

interested to know how people have got this setup if at all. I'm playing with the demo (on a macbook pro) while i wait for my proper copy (should be tomorrow i think) and its running pretty well, although i'm a little baffled by the best way to do what i want to do.

Any setup advice would be greatly appreciated especially in terms of controlling track effects and clip triggering all in Live.

thanks again
    VJ-A2D
    activ8 member

details

by VJ-A2D » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:58 pm

ok, but, what do you intend to do and how ?
    what sort of application is it for ?
    what's your hardware configuration ?

don't expect a miracle answer, these setups are, by nature, custom taylored according to your needs.

If what you really want to know, is, "does it work ?"

Yes it does.

"How?"

Now, that's something else... the answer is somewhat more complex...
    Plus2 Collectiv
  • bighairmusic

by bighairmusic » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:59 am

sure... i know i was a bit vague, sorry about that!

My set up is a MBP 1.83 duo, with 2 gig ram, using Ableton Live 5.2, with approx 8 tracks of audio elements already (loops, whole tracks, beats, cut ups, elements), plus my UC33e (which has alot of its controllers assigned already to EQs, faders, delays, FX etc).

The visuals i will be creating, some i would like to be triggered spot on to the music, for eg setting up a midi note in a snare position (on the 2 and 4) and have that trigger a visual of a slapping hand across a face. Other visual layers will be less related to timing, and more loop based and washy, and overlayed, but some sync options would be nice (retriggering long loops, colour changes, strobes etc). I have lots of years worth of interesting linear motion graphics elements as i've worked in Motion graphics design for quite a while, as well as audio design and DJing/performing Live.

I'm hoping to eventually do both Audio and Visuals on the one machine (when the Universal Binary modul8 comes out), but i'm aware this might be a bit much at the moment, so may borrow another laptop for the time being.

I suppose i'm interested in how much control people have just within Ableton. Do you control every aspect of Modul8 from within Live? and if so what are the simple methods For example

Clip launching (say a track of clips in live's session view each with midi notes>contextual midi>loaded into specific layers), FX for specific tracks (set up as a track in Live of clips containing controller messages>contextual midi), Transformations (scale, rotation etc). I've just got my copy (thanks Boris!) so i'm excited as to the possiibilities, but will also be aiming to integrate it into my current Ableton Audio Live sets, so will have to be aware of too many huge track counts and using up my UC33es faders for both audio and visuals.

I'm thinking i may have to get another midi controller just for modul8, and then perhaps just sequence certain very 'on the beat' visual elements from within live.

Sorry if all this is a bit of a splurg, i've just been buzzing with the possibilities and was wondering what other peoples setups were like.

Thanks for any help in advance!!
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Last edited by Akira on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:43 pm

bighairmusic wrote:

The visuals i will be creating, some i would like to be triggered spot on to the music, for eg setting up a midi note in a snare position (on the 2 and 4) and have that trigger a visual of a slapping hand across a face. Other visual layers will be less related to timing, and more loop based and washy, and overlayed, but some sync options would be nice (retriggering long loops, colour changes, strobes etc).

so what are the simple methods For example

Clip launching (say a track of clips in live's session view each with midi notes>contextual midi>loaded into specific layers), FX for specific tracks (set up as a track in Live of clips containing controller messages>contextual midi), Transformations (scale, rotation etc).

Hi.
    I have been attempting the very same thing, but without much success.
    I must admit I am not very good with understanding MIDI, however I have used it in some of my projects.
    So would you please explain how to make this things happen.
    I'm using Live5.2 and Modul8 v2.
    Maybe the main problem has been that in Modul8 I am not able to map a MIDI notes played in Live. It will map only one number even when there is a sequence of notes playing in Live.
    So I figure I am not doing all I have to and there for seems to me I need a good step-by-step tutorial to get me started:
    how to set up MIDI track or tracks in Live (what config.)
    what additional soft I need to route messages to Modul
    how to set Modul to map the notes I want
    Thanks in advance!
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:22 am

Last edited by Akira on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • complexvisuals

by complexvisuals » Wed May 23, 2007 2:09 pm

Has anyone made any progress with this? Interested to hear about any successful setups.

Only started learning to use Ableton, wondering what way you guys use.

Cheers
    Cian
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Tue May 29, 2007 10:53 am

Well I described my method in the forums already. Been using it for 2+ years
  • fatrabbit

by fatrabbit » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:37 pm

I spent some time messing with the demo of Modul8 and it looks great.

However, how can I set it up so that a MIDI clip with say notes on C3 on every downbeat are sent to Modul8 from Ableton Live?

Couldn't find a way of linking the two programs - is it Rewire? Would I have to use the IAC Bus? The BPM module for example - I couldn't activate/use this - is this something disabled in the demo?

Cheers.
  • complexvisuals

by complexvisuals » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:52 pm

Akira wrote:Well I described my method in the forums already. Been using it for 2+ years

Seen you say that a few times, but I cant actually find where it is. Was it on old version of forum?

Cian
  • fatrabbit

by fatrabbit » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:44 pm

complexvisuals wrote:
    Akira wrote:Well I described my method in the forums already. Been using it for 2+ years

Seen you say that a few times, but I cant actually find where it is. Was it on old version of forum?

Cian

Yeah, I tried to search for it, narrowing to your posts too, but no luck.
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Probably my memory is flakey, and I posted it on vj forums.

I'll sum it up later when I get more time ;)
  • bengazale

by bengazale » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:03 am

is it possible to trigger layers and banks using a midi signal from ableton live ? i've been getting moderate success, by creating midi clips with one note in each in order to select the layer to be displayed. if anyone has tips on how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated. My aim is really to link one ableton audio clip ( with several per track) to one specific modul8 layer. when the audio clip is played the layer is displayed.
    i'm trying to do this with 8 layers linked to 8 audio clips played and displayed simulataneously, with the opacity faders linked to the audio clip volume ( this works fine with the two controllers i have, an edirol UR80 and a behringer BCF2000). the clip / layer triggering is an issue however.
    what i've been trying so far, which isn't great as it adds a lot of load to the ableton set is to create a midi track and clip paralleling the audio track and clip and link the audio and midi launch button, meaning that playing the audio clip also plays themidi clip and one midi note. But it's not very smooth. I'm using the apple IAC driver.

just looking into soundflower today

any advice would be welcome, as i'm starting out on these programms and i'm pretty sure i'm doing things in a more complicated waythan necesary.
  • benga

by benga » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:05 pm

just a little feedback on this.
    there is a little line code which can be scripted into ableton, nicknamed the "midi feedback" hack. What it does is trigger a midi impulse with each clip triggering. The midi is then routed internally via the IAC3 to modul8 and triggers what ever is assigned in m8.
    it works great..

EDIT
    this is no longer necessary as it is now an ableton live feature.
    more details here
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtop ... 1149#11149