Lock M8
  • SirAlex

Lock M8

by SirAlex » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:37 am

Hi all,

I really need to lock M8 except for the modules.

I using the (VS) Recall LayersetgroupAB from VisionSonore to recall different situations on stage, and I need to lock all other setting on M8 to prevent people from changing any thing.

M8 is installed in a TV studio gallery and every body seams to like M8 and plays with it, so all the time I get call to go and fix it. This gallery works 24H.
    I'v tried to lock the Mac, but from time to time they have to change color and graphic content.

Can this be done?

Thanks
    Alex
    The Midi Thief
    master

Re: Lock M8

by The Midi Thief » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:18 pm

As far as I know you can't prevent anything from being executed. You can however see if a keyword is being manipulated and reset it to it's previous value given that you saved the original state first. It would actually be a nice addition to the coding if there was a possibility to block keywords from executing. So for now (VS) Recall LayersetgroupAB seems like your best bet. What about locking the computer itself?
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Just triple the amount you charge for fixing it. I bet the errant fingers in the stew will stop via management. If not you get more money.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:04 am

. actually, something like this would be really nice to have (like a enter password to change anything in Modul8 or switch programs)

. when I've done installation pieces in the past, at least two or three people will want to try and switch over to Safari to check their facebook or something... :?

-james
    (a nomad. )
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 am

Why not optimize your hardware configuration and use something like a mac mini or a mac pro without any other screen/monitor than the one you use for the project?

Modul8 doesn't need to have a second screen for the interface if it's a standalone installation. You don't need a mouse and keyboard either.

There is a "fullscreen at startup" option in modul8 so you just have to add your .md8 file in the list of stuff to open with your session (see accounts in system preferences) and that's it.

There are also a bunch of stuff to do in order to have a clean mac for an installation such as deactivate bluetooth, airport, energy saving, screen saving and so on.
  • SirAlex

by SirAlex » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 am

Thats all good ideas, but I need to change "presets" and for this I need an interface.

If I can password lock M8, I can use an other software or module to send a command to change setting.

ALex
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:59 pm

what computer are you using?
    you can always turn the screen luminosity to 0 and take the keyboard and mouse with you so it looks like it's shut down (for an iMac for instance).
    And how often do you need to change your presets? if you use a macmini or a macpro, you can also take your monitor with you when you don't need it.

if you really need to expose the computer screen for whatever reason, you can always minimize the modul8 main interface by clicking on the minus icon on the top left of the main window. Most people won't know where to click to get it back.

do you use a laptop?! it's not the most optimized machine for an installation, but what about hooking it up to the ceiling and controlling it with a second computer using the screen sharing option? Nobody except giants will try to use it! And think about the screen luminosity thing too.

but the best thing to do is to use your computer with no monitor and no keyboard/mouse. Change what you need to change with a midi/osc/dmx controller, or change the .md8 file that opens automatically at startup
    alonsorama

by alonsorama » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 pm

map the keys you need to a midi and take the mouse & keyboard with u
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:40 am

Hi,
    I had not though of using a mac mini for a video installation, yet seems a pretty good idea =)

I was wondering (and sorry to get off the main subject), is there a way, for example, to have MadMapper or M8 to automatically launch when the computer is turned on?
    In my case it is not factual to "train" a person in a museum to turn on and launch an application so the installation works. To risky too many problems.
    Any ideas?

Cheers!

gabbo
    No se quien soy, pero se de que huyo. M.Montaigne
    Twitter: @popversus / @esegabbo
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:03 am

sigmasix wrote:what computer are you using?
    you can always turn the screen luminosity to 0 and take the keyboard and mouse with you so it looks like it's shut down (for an iMac for instance).
    And how often do you need to change your presets? if you use a macmini or a macpro, you can also take your monitor with you when you don't need it.

. not sure if this was in reply to my comment, but.. the macMini was in another room running a different piece! :D

. i was on a macBookPro - outputting to very old monochrome (green/black) NTCS monitors from the early 80s - the mini I have doesn't directly support NTSC out - and junXion 4.5 (from steim) kept crashing (and it was the bridge from an xbox 360 joystick to control a video photo booth) so someone had to be able to restart it.

. so, *if* there was a way to lock/blank screen and require password, it would have helped in that situation. no worries though.

-james
  • bodis.tv

by bodis.tv » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:25 am

Hi
    I Use a Mac Mini for a Bar , so I have the same problem like U

Now I made a iPad with touch OSC and give them only the acccess to the function what the need.
    this works well.