Videomapping Effects between Surfaces?
  • crephix

Videomapping Effects between Surfaces?

by crephix » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am

Hey all,
    i am relatively new to Modul8 with projection mapping and i want to realize a cool effect for a Nightclub in Germany.

We've build a big cube and i want to project it from 2 Sides so i can cover 360°. In Modul8 i have some problems now.

First: I want to realize the effect in the beginning of the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ralwfcuE ... re=related .
    The bar moving over all surfaces. I have absolutely no idea how i can realize such a effect. Same as the outlining animation beginning at 0.14 in the video.
    Maybe i can animate it in After Effects as a full video (so no mapping necessary). But then i have to change my setup and i can't use the necessary other effects (for example projecting some videos on different surfaces, colorize surfaces in time with the music and so on). Do you have any ideas ? I read about the "paint"-Module, but i want to outline "between different surfaces", or i want to write a text, which circles my cube or something like that.

I think i can't use MadMapper for my intention hm ? I really like the Mapping Function of MadMapper, but it isn't good when i need different layers on different surfaces hm ? :/. Actually I use MapMapMap to map the surfaces.

Thanks and best regards,
    Crephix.
    The Midi Thief
    master

Re: Videomapping Effects between Surfaces?

by The Midi Thief » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Are you familiar with textures in Mad Mapper. You should be able to do those animations in AfterEffects and some simple stuff in M8 and then you can just map it, warp it, tweak it in MadMapper and it will be fairly easy to change for different setups. Most things in the video are not really standard effects, you will have to create your own to make it look as good.
  • crephix

by crephix » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 pm

The mapping is not the problem. The problem is that every surface need one video. It would be easy, when i can do it in one video (for example in that way: http://vimeo.com/40973584 ). But as i already mentioned, i want to play videos on my different surfaces and when i realize the effect as explained in the video, i have to change the input surfaces in madmapper while my live act (not really possible ^^)..

The only solution which crosses my mind is to build this cube in after effects, i create my video in after effects, and i render each surface/video individually. Is this a good solution? My after effects skills are very limited. Does maybe a video tutorial exists about that??

Any other ideas ??

Thanks so far

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka-bXxax ... re=related (In this video @ 2.00 is one video projected over all surfaces). When i can realize this in modul8 with mapmapmap or modul8+madmapper it would be great. But i think in madmapper i had to put many many surfaces in my input window (impossible and inflexible when i want to switch back to each surface - one layer.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 pm

The outline tutorial is easy enough. If you want to have more options you can take a look at the Particular AE plugin from Trapcode.

What I don't really understand is your inability to change textures in MadMapper in a live situation. I believe you don't see the whole chain. If you build your textures with layers in Modul8 and send it to MadMapper over Syphon. You can have different layer sets in Modul8 (thus creating different scenes/textures) and easily switch between them during your live act with a MIDI or OSC controller, mapped keys, or just by simple mouse clicks. You can also enable some hidden MIDI functionality in MadMapper (search the forums) but I doubt that will be the key to solve your problems.

Maybe I don't understand you or don't see the full picture.
  • crephix

by crephix » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Please describe me how it is possible to project ONE Video onto 10 surfaces (like the video shows). So i don't mean that every surface has the same video, instead i mean that the video is display over 10 Surfaces (This is what i mean @2.20min following): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka-bXxax ... re=related .

My problem with madmapper is the "mapping" of the input source. When i want to realize the outlining effect, i have to use different input-surfaces at the input-Side (like that: http://www.abload.de/img/surfacesezrbm.jpg ). This is fine and no problem for the first. But when i want to switch the video (for example a normal vj-loop which i want to show), the mapping of the input inside stays. So i can't show the full video on every surface without changing my input-Side in madmapper. I hope you understand now my problem ?

I need a solution which i can use for the whole evening. The outlining effect should be only one of the videos without any consequences for my mapping :/.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:40 pm

So would it solve it if you use the presets in Madmapper in order to get different setups of quads? It might be worth checking if it's possible to switch presets with the unofficial midi functionality.

This is not doing it the way you ask for but it it makes it possible to have one setup with 10 surfaces, then you can create a new preset with the same 10 surfaces + one big.
    The problem will of course be that the big video will have to be on the same texture as all your 10 surfaces.With good planning of the texture this could be achieved. And if you create your texture in Modul8 or any other layer based VJ app, you can change the texture there if you run out of space and don't need to use all the parts at once. If you follow me...
  • crephix

by crephix » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Ok thanks so far and how would you realize this projection mapping work in the video with the many surfaces ?? Especially the one video which is projected over all surfaces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka-bXxax ... re=related
    firionicable

by firionicable » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:37 am

Wow. I've never seen anything like this. I am pertaining to the YouTube link you posted. :D