LIVE CAMERA ON A PLAY
  • pedrotromano

LIVE CAMERA ON A PLAY

by pedrotromano » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Hello, i'm quite new in Modul8 and i'm having trouble to conect a external camera. In this play at the end we have one camera live on a screen.
    My doubts are:

modul8 just recognizes a firewire conection, or can recognize other connections like composite or hdmi?

Whats the procedure to make this, live streaming on modul8, work ?

many thanks

PS i have a Mac Book Pro, modul8 2.6 and an hdd sony handycam
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: LIVE CAMERA ON A PLAY

by vanakaru » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:09 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3951

You can use firewire but it will be DV quality and size and latency about 1/2 sec. Also DV signal processing is the most CPU heavy.
    So far the best I have seen in MXO2. Both quality and latency wise. Probably BlackMagic Intensity is as good but cheaper.
    But if you are deciding using firewire and Sony try USB cameras instead. You can run longer cables and some cams perform very good. Firewire and DV is the worst choice to have.
  • pedrotromano

by pedrotromano » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:14 pm

thanks! but do you think i need a matrox?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 pm

pedrotromano wrote:thanks! but do you think i need a matrox?

I wouldn't know.
    What quality you are after? What is your budget? How important is latency - do you require lip-sync? How far is the camera from computer - the length of the cables? How large is the projection? What projector you use?

I have MXO2 Mini and I use it with good quality security cams. S-video if cables do not need to be long and BNC otherwise. If i'd have Canon DSLR I could use it with HDMI capture FullHD without dada overlay(hacked firmware).
    But I use Sony PS3 Eyecam as well and for gallery installations I find USB iSight taken from old iMac that is tiny and mac native the best. So....
  • pedrotromano

by pedrotromano » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:57 pm

I don't need lip sync and the quality doesn't need to be full hd. Don't have budget, and the camera is 20 meters from the computer (20 meters of cable). The projection need to be 3x3 meters. I'm using a 4000 ansi lumens projector. I'm thinking to use a deck to convert the signal to the computer so i can use a signal cable to conect the camera i have. I can also get a huge firewire to conect it, but i don't know if it will be stable. What is data firmware?

many thanks

I wouldn't know.
    What quality you are after? What is your budget? How important is latency - do you require lip-sync? How far is the camera from computer - the length of the cables? How large is the projection? What projector you use?

I have MXO2 Mini and I use it with good quality security cams. S-video if cables do not need to be long and BNC otherwise. If i'd have Canon DSLR I could use it with HDMI capture FullHD without dada overlay(hacked firmware).
    But I use Sony PS3 Eyecam as well and for gallery installations I find USB iSight taken from old iMac that is tiny and mac native the best. So....
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:22 pm

What is the ”deck° you are talking about? And what Is ”huge” firewire?

What is data firmware?

You can get clean video out of the camera without data overlay. Go and try any DSLR directly to TV via HDMI and you understand.

You can run USB cable with ACTIVE extenders 20-25m easy, with pro extenders 100m. So USB camera is a good option to look at. The link to the list should answer most of your questions.
    Last edited by vanakaru on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • pedrotromano

by pedrotromano » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:28 pm

this is the deck i'm talking about a Sony GV-HD700 does portable HDV tape playback. But a cheaper idea could be use a webcam. does modul8 reconizes a webcam?

we re getting there thank you!
  • pedrotromano

by pedrotromano » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 pm

I found a nice and cheap webcam, now i'm looking for these active cables.

muito obrigado! (thank you in portuguese)!
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 pm

These active USB extenders need to be quality ones in order to work with video band with. make sure you try before you buy. It should cost about 20EUR. Can't find the recommendations for you right now.
    BTW does this webcam work on mac? There are many that don't and few that do. I posted a link for you to see what capture devises will work, but I have a feeling that you did not check it out.
  • pedrotromano

by pedrotromano » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:44 pm

I tested before and the webcam work. I'm looking for the cables right now. There is no link in the other posts! but thank ou BTW
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:48 am

I see the link fine with my first reply. but just go to Modul8 (General)>first topic Modul8 v2.5.8+ Video Capture Compatibilty List