Higher control over sound input
  • KsaweryKir

Higher control over sound input

by KsaweryKir » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:28 am

My question is not directly connected to Modul8, but I hope that someone had a similar problem and solved it.

I would like to take a higher control over sound input which Modul8 gets. I'm catching a mic signal through a sound card. I want to change it (i.e. in AU Lab) and use in M8. I already installed AU Lab, Line in, Soundflower, but can't figure out how to set them up (I tried a lot). I know M8 uses a sound input set in Preferences, but I have no idea how to add a changed sound there. I already was in MIDI Audio setup, but no success.

It probably is pretty obvious, but I'm a noob in this area...
  • anomad
    master

Re: Higher control over sound input

by anomad » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:55 pm

. make sure that in 'System Preferences' -> 'Hardware' - 'Sound' that the 'Input' tab is set to the correct input.

. if you're using Soundflower, make sure you're set it up correct (http://www.macworld.com/article/1159440 ... pture.html ) and then have AU lab running out to Soundflower and have Soundflower as your system input.

. then launch Modul8

. in the bottom right corner of the main window, make sure to turn the 'Sound Level IN' knob up then press Command-Option-a to see the audio monitor. you can fine tune the 'Gain' and 'Damping' there.

. over the years, i've had a lot of success w/Soundflower on OS X 10.5 and 10.6 but since then it has been hit or miss if it actually works and plays sound out through that speakers and back in to Modul8 so i gave up on that and just route the sound back in via hardware.

. good luck!

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • KsaweryKir

by KsaweryKir » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:16 am

@anomad Thanks for your reply! I found out today that this knob of Sound Input in Modul8 can control and *OVERRIDE* the input volume in System Preferences... This is completely not intuitive! :/ Especially that: when I set the System Input Volume at full, it still looks like the system doesn't get any signal. I thought that Soundflower is broken at first and lost few hours reinstalling Soundflower and iShowU Audio Capture just to get to know that Modul8 itself makes the system sound input silent :/

To be clear - if you think your Soundflower is not working, make sure that you haven't left Modul8 with Sound Input knob at minimum. Modul8 overrides the sound input level even when is turned off.
  • KsaweryKir

by KsaweryKir » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:15 am

But back to the point... Even though I found why my Soundflower was not working, it didn't solve my problem. The idea you described is the first set I did, but the case is more complicated. AU Lab can't have any influence on the sound going from Soundflower to Soundflower (because Soundflower copies the sound directly without looking for any apps to change it).

I had that idea:

1. Sound Output set to Soundflower (to gather all sounds from applications)
    2. Sound Input set to iShowU Audio Capture (for Modul8)
    3. Turn on AU Lab and set Soundflower as Input and iShowU Audio Capture as Output

but it doesn't work too. :(
  • KsaweryKir

by KsaweryKir » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:43 am

The reason why I want to change the signal is that I use some FX based on low freq. sounds. In the music that I'm working with, bass is (let's say) always on 80% and going to 100%. In the result the change is not noticeable on the screen. I need to cut those basic 80% of bass to have a bigger contrast of FX. The only idea I have is to use a mixer app like AU Lab. I couldn't find any module that would work it out and Sound Analysis in M8 is too simple. Not mentioning that M8 should have a possibility to change the Sound Input source...