Locked 51 posts
Modul8 v3.0 hd BETA
    boris
    garageCube team

Re: Modul8 v3.0 hd BETA

by boris » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi there,

It's an experimental feature and has been replaced by the master lightness, at the last minute we decide to keep it for testing, who knows...I think we will suppress it, except if someone found something useful on it.

The value need to be a float and not an int (I can change it easily to support both if we keep that feature) from 0.0 (no effect) to 1.0 (and not 1) for a black out.
    And that's true there is not control in the main UI for that, so the name of the keyword is not correct ('ctrl' are supposed to exist in the main UI)

I agree this is maybe not a t-shirt issue, but you win a t-shirt for you effort !
    B.

EDIT: I put a exemple module in the garagecube lib. : Fade to Black and Lightness (EXPERIMENTAL)

ghostofelvis100 wrote:new keyword ctrl_master_fadeToBlack does not seem to do anything, or even register as a keyword in the Direct Event module.

I guess I am doing the correct thing? Sending an integer boolean value to to the keyword (e.g.. val = 1 or val = 0):-

modul8.setValue('ctrl_master_fadeToBlack',val,0)

There's no info in the keyword browser to explain the keyword, plus there's no button in the interface for this yet.

Output Lightness values below 0.5 increase lightness to full on white out at 0. Should this not also fade to black at zero?

Little things, of little importance in what is otherwise an amazing work.

Not suggesting this is a t-shirt worthy bug, but a small/medium mens will do nicely ; )
    Boris * garageCube team
  • brownie

by brownie » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:31 am

brownie wrote:Dear Boris,

I found something:

When outputing a syphon movie to MadMapper using the advanced output, nothing goes through to Madmapper.
    The syphon is recognized by MadMapper but only a black screen is shown.

This setup works perfectly is Modul8 2.9.2 but not in 3.0.
    The problem comes from the advanced output because deactivating it restores the video in MadMapper via Syphon, but without clips separation as wanted.

This was tested on a 2015 MacBookPro Retina with 10.11.

Tell me if you need more information.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Dear Boris,

did you have a chance to have a look into this issue?
    It's a feature that I use all the time in the previous version and it seems impossible to make it work in Modul8 3.0.

Thanks,

Jonathan
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi Jonathan,

There is an issue on the multi output and retina screen (and syphon).
    Could you try to open Modul8 in low resolution mode and tell me if that resolve your issue ?

So well you win a t-shirt btw !!

brownie wrote:
    brownie wrote:Dear Boris,

I found something:

When outputing a syphon movie to MadMapper using the advanced output, nothing goes through to Madmapper.
    The syphon is recognized by MadMapper but only a black screen is shown.

This setup works perfectly is Modul8 2.9.2 but not in 3.0.
    The problem comes from the advanced output because deactivating it restores the video in MadMapper via Syphon, but without clips separation as wanted.

This was tested on a 2015 MacBookPro Retina with 10.11.

Tell me if you need more information.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Dear Boris,

did you have a chance to have a look into this issue?
    It's a feature that I use all the time in the previous version and it seems impossible to make it work in Modul8 3.0.

Thanks,

Jonathan
    Attachments
    Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 17.24.44.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 17.24.44.png (129.87 KiB) Viewed 18749 times
    Boris * garageCube team

by quote » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Hey,

yesterday I used the 3.0 beta for a small party.

Video setup was:
    Modul8 output to syphon
    QuartzComposer gets the syphon signal and puts a simple transparent png mask image on top and outputs it to the projector.
    The video files were all PhotoJPG with 75% quality.

Experience:
    Overall a very good one, although it crashed once - unfortunatelly I can not say, what was the exact reason.
    I really like the possibility for more than one media sets.

What I miss:
    The normal "normalize" :D - I was using a 16:10 projector but no matter which new "normalize" setting I used, it never was blown up, so that it filled up the whole space.
    //edit --> start
    In 3.0 I ended up just using the scale to achive the desired effect.
    In 2.9 I did a key-mapping for the "normalize" button so I only hat to press one key to achive the desired effect.
    edit --> end//

(Bug-) Reports:
    Although this is also reproducable in the 2.9.2 version of Modul8 - so this is not a new "bug" - but you can still drag and drop folders into your media set. They are not selectable but they are also not an "unsupported media type" like for example .txt files.

I mostly used "Lightness", "Contrast" and "Luma Key" and sometimes I duplicated the same movie 4 times, changed the color values and applied the module "Random Crop (layer)". While saving the whole setup (and at the same time previewing this "Random Crop"-Videos the whole application got really really slow for about a minute. Even the video composition began to stutter. But after one minute it all got back to normal.
    // edit --> start
    Today I tried to reproduce it, but also here no such luck.
    edit --> end //

At one time I dragged 40+ videos at once into the media set. It imported all of them without a hitch, but I had the feeling that 3 of them were not imported. I then dragged the same 40+ videos again into the media set, but it only told me that the media is already in my media set.
    Today I tried to reproduce the behaviour but everything went just like it should.

Of course if you have any questions feel free to ask me anything.

Kind regards from austria,
    David
  • brownie

by brownie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:03 pm

boris wrote:Hi Jonathan,

There is an issue on the multi output and retina screen (and syphon).
    Could you try to open Modul8 in low resolution mode and tell me if that resolve your issue ?

So well you win a t-shirt btw !!

Hi Boris,

I just tested the same setup I had issue with with Modul8 running in low resolution mode and it appears to work.
    The problem occurs only when not running in low resolution.

Otherwise, the Modul8HD is nice to use, thanks.
    Tell me if you need any additional info.

Thanks for the t-shirt :)

Jonathan
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:22 pm

Wow, I reported three issues and not even one of them got a response...

Feeling a bit left out here.
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:13 pm

I gmint,
    Sorry if I missed your report, the modul8 team is currently in "holidays" and be back next week.
    I will check for sure!

Best,
    Boris.

gmint wrote:Wow, I reported three issues and not even one of them got a response...

Feeling a bit left out here.
    Boris * garageCube team
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:21 pm

gmint wrote:I used the beta for a show last night and noticed a couple of things. Not sure they really qualify as bugs, but it would be nice to see them both fixed in any case.

1) (Not new in this version) The state of the fading and scaling crossfader settings are not saved into a composition across restarts. It would be very nice if they were.

I will change that for the next beta!

gmint wrote:2) If a composition has been saved with modules and those modules are missing (which they were from my beta install at first) Modul8 will open the project but it will continue displaying a "Loading Structures" dialog indefinitely.

Do you have an exemple, I tried with one random module and I did not able to reproduce your issue.
    gmint wrote:3) For some reason, all of my HAP encoded files have a strange yellowish tint. This does not seem to be the case when I load the same files in MadMaper. I have attached a screenshot. This does not happen with H.264 or other files.

Could you send to us one of your movie (to the support) to test-it here (because we don't see this issue yet) ?

Thanks for your report, maybe you will win a t-shirt! :-)

Boris.
    Boris * garageCube team
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:14 am

Boris,

I submitted a HAP movie that is displaying the issue I mentioned. The ticket number for your reference is: 160818303773

I'm not able to recreate the "structures loading" issue right now, but I'll keep trying.
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Mocomeau,

This problem only seem to happen when advanced-output is activated.

Please turn advanced output off if you don't explicitly need it.

mocomeau wrote:There seems to be a problem with the Syphon Module.

If I syphon out Modul8 to MadMapper, it seems to take a larger part then what I am sending.

For instance, if I'm outputting 720p, if I do a simple "Full Screen" output, it goes full. If I output it to syphon and Madmapper, it will take a bigger chunk of output. If I move my image in modul8, I can see it move in the dead space in Madmapper. As if the syphon took larger than it was suppose to.

The cropping of mad mapper doesn't work because there is a massive lost of resolution.

I'm attaching a picture. I hope this issue could be fixed soon because I would love to test it on the road !

** When troubleshoot with modul8 2.9, Syphon takes the full resolution
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:46 pm

gmint,

gmint wrote:3) For some reason, all of my HAP encoded files have a strange yellowish tint. This does not seem to be the case when I load the same files in MadMaper. I have attached a screenshot. This does not happen with H.264 or other files.

Could you send my one of your HAP file that reproduces the problem by MP?

Thanks
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Videometry,

Videometry wrote:noticed some weirdness in the midi mapping when on position- Notice the two green boxes next to the layer speed + the master BG color shouldn't be mappable in position or layerset + position.

Can't seem to reproduce your problem. Here's how it looks like on my MBP retina:
    Screenshot 2016-08-22 16.14.33.png
    Screenshot 2016-08-22 16.14.33.png (262.52 KiB) Viewed 18550 times

Could you try to explain me how to reproduce the problem?
  • marty2x

by marty2x » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:13 am

Maybe someone else has already mentioned this as it seems kind of obvious. There is a delay in the audio, i.e sound and video are out of sync. Does not happen for the exact same video in 2.9. Happens with photo Jpeg or H264.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: Modul8 v3.0 hd BETA - frame rate issue

by Pierre Guilluy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:40 pm

jason5d,

I don't think the framerate issue is at all related to the media playback since you can get up to 100fps in preview mode.

Could you try using the testcard with auto-rotate on a layer to see if you still experience the issue?

Do you experience the same problem when displaying fullscreen on the MacBook's retina screen instead of the TV?

Then, could you try messing around with your TV settings in macOS like its position relative to the MacBook's screen (left or right) and try the same patch again?

jason5d wrote:I have a frame rate issue.
    Play back isn't as smooth in full screen mode

When I switch to full screen the frame rate drops a great deal.
    desktop mode - 90-100 fps
    fullscreen mode 26-28 fps

i7 macbook pro 2014 16gb 512 pcie ssd el cap modul8 HD beta1 conected to a samsung hdmi tv

playing one 1080/30 mjpeg loop
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:10 am

Infos are now added to the keyboard browser...
    B.

boris wrote:Hi there,

It's an experimental feature and has been replaced by the master lightness, at the last minute we decide to keep it for testing, who knows...I think we will suppress it, except if someone found something useful on it.

The value need to be a float and not an int (I can change it easily to support both if we keep that feature) from 0.0 (no effect) to 1.0 (and not 1) for a black out.
    And that's true there is not control in the main UI for that, so the name of the keyword is not correct ('ctrl' are supposed to exist in the main UI)

I agree this is maybe not a t-shirt issue, but you win a t-shirt for you effort !
    B.

EDIT: I put a exemple module in the garagecube lib. : Fade to Black and Lightness (EXPERIMENTAL)

ghostofelvis100 wrote:new keyword ctrl_master_fadeToBlack does not seem to do anything, or even register as a keyword in the Direct Event module.

I guess I am doing the correct thing? Sending an integer boolean value to to the keyword (e.g.. val = 1 or val = 0):-

modul8.setValue('ctrl_master_fadeToBlack',val,0)

There's no info in the keyword browser to explain the keyword, plus there's no button in the interface for this yet.

Output Lightness values below 0.5 increase lightness to full on white out at 0. Should this not also fade to black at zero?

Little things, of little importance in what is otherwise an amazing work.

Not suggesting this is a t-shirt worthy bug, but a small/medium mens will do nicely ; )
    Boris * garageCube team
Locked 51 posts