System Lockup with PhotoJPEG
    broken
    super8 member

System Lockup with PhotoJPEG

by broken » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:08 pm

I think I finally narrowed down some wicked full system freezes I was having.

Using the 57A1A35 beta I can drag in a HAP file that plays back no problems at all.

If I try to drag in the same clip encoded in PhotoJPEG into Modul8 everything is fine until I attempt to play this clip. Once I select the PhotoJPEG clip Modul8 freezes my entire system needing a hard power off. (may be when the clip loops back around?)

It seems like it may be related to the preview window, as if I have GRID selected without displaying any of my output, Modul8 will continue to run and allow me to select the PhotoJPEG clip, move sliders, etc. (ie: interface is not frozen)

The MOMENT I try to preview the layer or full output containing a PhotoJPEG clip, Modul8 and my entire system freezes.

This is 100% reproducible on my system, and I can provide a video showing it happen in realtime if necessary to illustrate my findings.

Please help! :)
    broken
    super8 member

Re: System Lockup with PhotoJPEG

by broken » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Tested the same files with beta 3 and so far so good!

Went back to beta 2 and gave it a shot just to see if it was a fluke.. and beta 2 hard froze my system.

beta 3 seems to fix the issue I was having with PhotoJpeg playback, yay! :) don't think i've had to hard reset my system so many times in a month
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:20 pm

Good to know !
    :-)

broken wrote:Tested the same files with beta 3 and so far so good!

Went back to beta 2 and gave it a shot just to see if it was a fluke.. and beta 2 hard froze my system.

beta 3 seems to fix the issue I was having with PhotoJpeg playback, yay! :) don't think i've had to hard reset my system so many times in a month
    Boris * garageCube team
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Experienced this system freeze again when loading a project I had saved (which had ran perfectly while I recorded a 20 minute video mix via Syphon Recorder) with PhotoJPEG clips.

As I said, I had created this brand new project, loaded my clips.. and began to mix & record the output. I use the Slideshow (layer) plugin to trigger clip changes for a few layers, but everything else is pretty vanilla.

Close & save project, shutdown computer.. go to open things the next day and do another recorded video mix from the same project file.. and as soon as it loads up, my entire system freezes - requiring a hard reset.

I'm not sure if the Slideshow (layer) plugin has anything to do with it maybe triggering a clip as it's being loaded, and confusing Modul8 or overloading the system with commands before it's loaded clips into memory?
    Or if it's just something to do with opening saved projects containing PhotoJPEG clips and Modul8 crashing as soon as they loop around? (as it was happening in my first post)

If there's anything I can send for logs or troubleshooting please let me know.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:49 am

Please send me one the faulty PhotoJPEG files so I can try reproducing the problem.
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:13 pm

Thats part of the problem.. I have loaded a project with 100 PhotoJPEG clips for a halloween show, operated the project just fine while recording the output via Syphon for over an hour of mixing clips.

It's when I attempted to load the project a day later after a few reboots that the perfectly working project I had saved now freezes my system when it did not before.

I can try to create a small project and see if I can get the same behavior, but often I've been able to create a project from scratch, have it be fine, but when it's loaded a 2nd time things freeze. It doesn't make much sense to me.

I'll see what I can provide.
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:44 pm

I was able to load my project fine with 100 clips.. things didn't freeze, but when attempting to re-save the project, I got beachballs and my entire system froze again.

beachballs.jpg
    beachballs.jpg (158.89 KiB) Viewed 5464 times

Prior to this latest PhotoJpeg issue (using halloween clips) I had created a smaller project with 1 layer, 2 clips and was trying to test what exactly was causing the system lockup.. Sometimes if the GRID preview was enabled things would be fine to launch either clip.. Sometimes when the preview window showed Layer or Out the PhotoJPEG clip would freeze the system, but HAP would play fine.

Here's the 2 small 3s clips I had been using to test this problem prior.
    https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/N%2 ... g%2F8rzoLw

If you put those 2 clips into beta 2, I can get a freeze every time.. beta 3 seemed to fix that.. but now I've had full system freezes again with beta 5 again.. only ever when PhotoJPEG is used. HAP plays fine 100% of the time