First video live using 40h Monome...
    TheraBylerm
    activ8 member

First video live using 40h Monome...

by TheraBylerm » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:46 pm

Hello !

At the beginnig of February, at the Maroquinerie (Paris) took place our first live video using the 40h Monome. We were invited by Chkrrr, the prizes winner of the Price Paris Young talents.

With this occasion, we started (finally!) an website to present our work: http://www.guhmes.com on which you will be able to find the pictures and videos of our first live.

Note that we currently work on a module allowing to use the 40h with Modul8 simply; unfortunably, the module is currently “unstable”…

Cheers !

======================================================

Bonjour à tous !

Le 5 février dernier à la Maroquinerie (Paris) a eu lieu notre premier live vidéo utilisant le 40h Monome. Nous étions invités par Chkrrr, les lauréats du Prix Paris Jeunes Talents.

A cette occasion, nous avons commencé (enfin !) un site internet pour présenter notre travail: http://www.guhmes.com sur lequel vous pourrez retrouver les images et vidéos de notre premier live.

A noter également que nous travaillons actuellement sur un module permettant d'utiliser simplement le 40h avec Modul8; module pour le moment encore "instable"...

A bientôt !

Image[/img]
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Nice work! Love the animations. :) A very big fan of hand drawn material. Although not sure what aspect of the video is 'performative' as in responding or interacting with the music in some way. Is this why you are seeking to develop a module? What is this 40h Monome? Can you describe it? :?
    TheraBylerm
    activ8 member

by TheraBylerm » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:33 am

Hi Senterio... :-)

Thanks for your answer... !

Everything in our work responding with the music.
    For exemple, if you take the hand drawn animation, you can see that there is some "bugs" interacting with the music, such as blur, shake, transitions... and everything is played like a music partition.

If you take the other video, named "chkrrr - islandia" (you can change video below the player here), you will see that there is a lot of things that react with the music. And more, the "speaking guy" is just a sample, working on the sound that we capture in a sound table, so we can juste use the bass, the middle, or the treble to make him speak...

The 40h Monome is a controller (OSC, Midi and whatever you want !) for audio (for exemple with Max/MSP). But you can do whatever you want with it. It's simply a pad with 64 buttons, that can be toggles, press buttons or fader, or timeline, or sampler... etc... you will be able to find more informations here : http://monome.org
    The module we are working on is to make easier the use of the controller with modul8, by integrating for exemple, the midi out...

Cheers !
  • ylandsman

by ylandsman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:28 am

Your work looks and sounds very interesting. How are you accomplishing the audio reactivity? Is this with modul8's sound in feature or external to modul8 somehow?

May I request and suggest that you separate the midi out into it's own module so it can be of use to those of us with other controllers.
    TheraBylerm
    activ8 member

by TheraBylerm » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi Ylandsman,

For the audio reactivity, we use a sound table to select on wich part of the sound we want to use for reactivity. Then, we enter in modul8 by the "sound in" control.
    So it is an external and physical solution, wich seems to be the best way for us today.

The table we use is a small Tapco MIX60

Moreover, the module we are working will include the midi out as soon as we will be able to make it work, bacause the 40h don't supporte for the moment the midi in (well, it supports the midi in, but the application running with the 40h doesn't).
  • elportugues

by elportugues » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi TheraBylerm
    Hi everyone...

I read your posts, i saw your work/perfomance and its a very good audio sync. that you made.
    Im writing here cause im planing to buy one equalizer table (Tapco Mix 50 or 60 maybe...) and my doubt its these:
    If (in Modul8) you asisgn a audio value with the Tapco MIx60 to one layer, using for ex. "Scale sound In", the other layers will work with the same sound values?
    I mean, its posible to put one layer responding just to the guittar and other layer to the bass?

By best regards to all...

Thanks.
    TheraBylerm
    activ8 member

by TheraBylerm » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:56 pm

elportugues wrote:Im writing here cause im planing to buy one equalizer table (Tapco Mix 50 or 60 maybe...) and my doubt its these:
    If (in Modul8) you asisgn a audio value with the Tapco MIx60 to one layer, using for ex. "Scale sound In", the other layers will work with the same sound values?
    I mean, its posible to put one layer responding just to the guittar and other layer to the bass?

Hi Elportuges,

You can use your Tapco to equalize the audio to use it in modul8. So you can sync your picture to the bass, the middle... etc...

But, you can't "separate" the sound to use the bass for one layer and the guitar for another layer. Every layer you want to sync with audio will sync with the same audio source.

Maybe a modul could be your solution (I don't know if it's possible; Boris ?); but you will need a "real audio card" with a different entrance for each instrument you want to sync with your pictures.

Cheers !
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:23 pm

In theory it would be possible to write a module like this but it would require some serious programming knowledge.

Python does not have this feature integrated and it is too slow to do any kind of data processing.

However it is possible to interface Python with C.

The only solution I can see would be to write an external Python module in C which captures the sound input, apply a Fast Fourrier to find the frequences and returns the result to Python.

Now the easier way is to wait for Modul8 3.0 which will have this feature integrated. :wink: