jim c. aka nadada at the Gershwin Hotel NYC
  • nadada

jim c. aka nadada at the Gershwin Hotel NYC

by nadada » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:35 pm

I did a gig at the Gershwin Hotel on 27th and fifth ave. last week on the night of the 22nd. The modul8 beta 2.0 performed flawlessly on my new iMac G5. I bumped up to the iMac G5 so that I could go full spec on modul8. 64 Mb video ram, at least 1 gig ram. I performed three pieces to original music. I've got to tell you, people were impressed. This was a scene like a theater where the audience was there specifically to watch my work. So I did an experiment where I layered documentary interview on the East Village 80s art scene with archival footage. The result was an incredible montage, overlayed voices and images and artworks flying, appearing from nowhere. Even I was surprised by the serendipitous collision of images and voices and the new meanings that were made manifest. So, modul8 as a live postproduction compositing tool. It works! :D
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:47 pm

cool!! did you make a video from your show? You seem to made something incredible but It's hard to imagine with words...
  • nadada

by nadada » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:21 am

Yeah, I still don't have the energy to lug my s-video vhs machine with me to gigs, which is why I greatly anticipate the record log functionality of modul8 2.0. That said, people did witness the event. I am sure that there is probably a precedent here, but I like to think of this as "one of the first" experiments in "straight" film being done through a live triggering VJ soft in front of a live audience. Do ya think it may be a first? I am going to go ahead and record this via analogue to a recorder in the studio and post it on a web site in the near future. Anyhow, I figured a work around for muting clips in the "A" list while transitioning to "B'" list. I simply slow the clips in question down to zero speed. Not the most elegant solution, but hearing those voices slow to a halt turned out to be a cool effect, too. I am inspired by Hans Richter, the Dada film maker, so anything goes, I suppose. The more off beat the better. I really feared doing this documentary, because, as an artist, I didn't want a boring old "talking heads" style documentary. Running the clips through Mod8 has been exciting and sheer pleasure, yielding unexpected, exhilarating results! 8)