Burning Man?
  • gregy1

Burning Man?

by gregy1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi - Have been using Arkaos on Windows, mixing live with three Windows machines and three Edirol V-4's to three projectors. Have just switched to Modul8 on a well equipped Mac Pro and am headed to Burning Man with a 30 foot wide x 10 foot tall screen, hoping to output 3072x768. The screen will probably be set up in Big Puffy Yellow camp. Would love to meet and talk to any other Modul8 users who will be there.

Greg / Smoke Blower
    Escondido, CA, USA
  • helium_micro

Too late, but next year!

by helium_micro » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:14 pm

I was at Burning Man as well, wish I had read this post before I went! I also performed with Modul8 at Burning Man. I rigged up a tricycle with car battery, power inverter, mac, projector, and keyboard controller - it was truly a VJ mobile! I had the opportunity to project on Root Society Dome Friday night. Here is some video of that: http://helium-visuals.com

No idea how big that projection is, but the panels on the dome were quite large. I could ride forward or backpedal to get the right distance, and even turn my handlebars to make the projection move side-to-side with the music. Good times! I wish I had more video, but like I said, good times. Here's a photo: http://picasaweb.google.com/plutonomy/B ... 1900168786
    H - E - L - I - U - M
    www.helium-visuals.com
  • gregy1

by gregy1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:38 pm

Hey Helium --

Would have been fun to compare notes. I like what you did! Truly a Burner variation on VJing.

The other helium I know is a very cute and sexy female fire spinner from L.A... Guess the world has room for more than one helium!

I'm still very new to Modul8. I have lots of material to work with, but the system is so different from my old Arkaos / NuVJ setup that I'm far from fluid on it. I spent most of the first night (Thursday) with the screen live tuning the system, with no viewers. The camp's big party was a daytime thing, and they'd all left on art cars by the time night fell.

At any rate, have big plans for next year - the 30foot by 15 foot screen will be back, maybe on Esplanade, but I'm also designing an art car that will be pretty video intensive.

In the meantime I have to figure out how to make Modul8 sing, and have it sing a little for a living too.

Smoke Blower
    Greg Young
  • helium_micro

Art cars

by helium_micro » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:34 am

A video-intensive art car - sounds awesome. What do you think you will employ with the theme Evolution? Are you based in the US or abroad?

I looked at both Modul8 and Arkaos when I began looking for software. I liked the improvisation inherent with Arkaos because of its use of keyboard keys (I'm a piano player), but I saw much more power and compositing potential with Modul8. Once you learn the basics, get into Modules, they really expand the program. I haven't found the perfect MIDI controller setup yet, but that could easiily take months of tweaking for optimum performance. Let me know if you ever have any questions. Hope we can meet up next year and `battle` ?

peace,
    helium
  • gregy1

by gregy1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:22 am

We're looking at more of a counter-theme on "de-evolution" (Remember the 80's band DEVO?) We live in the San Diego area..

I still have a LOT to learn with Modul8. I bought an M-Audio Trigger Finger but so far have had no luck with it. And I really loved the Numark NuVJ controller and its perfect alignment with the software - especially the two scratch wheels.... But Modul8 is so far beyond in its other capabilities that I'm determined to make the best of it.

But I definitely see a battle coming on next year!
    Greg Young