Video input via Playstation Eye
  • HumOfEvil

Video input via Playstation Eye

by HumOfEvil » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi first post here just started playing around with Modul8.

Can some one give me a definitive answer about if/how it is possible to use a Playstation Eye camera as a source for Modul8?

I have searched other topics and it is alluded to that it is a good value camera for this kind of thing but I cannot see how you would go about doing this.

I have Macam drivers working to get the Eye to connect to my Macbook but that is as far as i can get!

I see mention of something called Videoglide but I m not sure if that is relevnt.

Thanks in advance.
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:33 am

Have you been able to get other programs to use the camera? If you have Quicktime Pro does that camera show up as an input? Which version of Modul8 are you using? Even with all of these questions answered my best guess is the performance of this camera will no be the of a high quality.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:31 am

VjKg wrote:Have you been able to get other programs to use the camera? If you have Quicktime Pro does that camera show up as an input? Which version of Modul8 are you using? Even with all of these questions answered my best guess is the performance of this camera will no be the of a high quality.

Just the opposite - PS3 camera is one of the best or the best USB cams on the market. Its latency is no issue, only few frames. Video quality is rather high. There are different drivers made by enthusiasts you can find here
    http://www.openframeworks.cc/files/
    These allow you to advance different sides of this cam. Like with *multi* you can get the cam perform up to 125fps(real 80-90fps) at capture size 320x240.
    You need to change the macam.component in the root/Library/Quicktime.
    If your cam is not working try to replace components.
  • anomad
    master

Re: Video input via Playstation Eye

by anomad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 pm

HumOfEvil wrote:Can some one give me a definitive answer about if/how it is possible to use a Playstation Eye camera as a source for Modul8?

. yes, you can use the PS Eye camera.

. when you create a layer, choose video input 1 from the Media Set window, under the SP tab
    . then go to preferences, video capture, source and settings - and make sure the PS Eye shows up.

. i've used the basic macam drivers on my os x 10.5 system and was impressed w/the real time quality. here's a clip where i play w/green screen effects using the PS eye for input and capture to a canon video camera - http://vimeo.com/8641701

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • HumOfEvil

by HumOfEvil » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:43 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have figured out why it was not working.

For anyone else attempting the same thing, you need to make sure the macam.component file is in your library/Quicktime folder. The cam will then be in the source list on Modul8.

Simple when you know how.
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 am

Can you do more then one? Can you do all 4 available?
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Seems like I needed to review the Capture sticky.
  • waleeedijaz

Re: Video input via Playstation Eye

by waleeedijaz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:59 am

For anyone else attempting the same thing, you need to make sure the macam.component file is in your library/Quicktime folder. The cam will then be in the source list on Modul8.