soft edge mask
  • monsieurmeus

soft edge mask

by monsieurmeus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi,
    I didn't find an answer on the forum, I hope I won't ask a stupid question but is it possible to have soft edges on a mask ? I mean without doing the mask outside the software and import it.
    thanks
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: soft edge mask

by mad-matt » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:27 pm

No, soft-edge does only work on quads. But you can make a mask in one projector and another in the second projector so that it matches in the projected surface. That does the trick !
  • monsieurmeus

by monsieurmeus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:44 pm

mad-matt wrote:No, soft-edge does only work on quads. But you can make a mask in one projector and another in the second projector so that it matches in the projected surface. That does the trick !

Hi thanks for your proposition but I'm not sure to understand the trick: I have to make twice the same mask on 2 Projectors on the same surface ?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:58 pm

I'm not sure to understand the trick: I have to make twice the same mask on 2 Projectors on the same surface ?

To make a soft-edge on a flat (physical) surface, you have to create 2 quads in MadMappers, a first one on a projector, a second one on another projector. On each quad you have to set the part of the visual to be displayed in each part, knowing that MadMapper can automatically configure the soft-edge. I supposed you checked that: http://www.madmapper.com/soft-edge-cali ... -tutorial/

So yes, if you have to create a mask over a soft-edge you need two projectors, two quads and two masks.
  • monsieurmeus

by monsieurmeus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi,
    thanks for the answer and the link I didn't know about automatic edge blending. But maybe I didn't explain my question enough, hereby an image of what I'd like to do on Madmapper. I'd like to make a mask on an image I need to map on a surface. But I'd like to have smooth edges on my mask so the transition is not too hard and pixelized. Do you see what I mean ?
    Attachments
    mask with softedge.png
    mask with softedge
    mask with softedge.png (83.45 KiB) Viewed 6340 times
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:40 am

Ok, I understand now. That's not a soft-edge between two projectors then.
    That's what we call "Soft-Borders". In MM 2.5 beta you can choose a shader per surface. There's a "soft-borders" shader. But not on a mask. Mask have a different behavior.
    You have two solutions for your problem: create a picture of the mask, with PNG with alpha channel, and use it on a quad, then you can do perspective.
    Or you can make a quad, with a black picture (or testcard with front color and back color set to black), use the "soft-borders" shader, and use mesh warping (setting the "show input mesh" and "link input to output" and modifying the mesh in the UVs would do the trick), cf screenshot
    Attachments
    Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.35.46.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.35.46.jpg (217.47 KiB) Viewed 6326 times
  • monsieurmeus

by monsieurmeus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi!
    thanks for your advices, I was afraid I had to do a mask outside MadMapper and import it back but the quad as mask and soft borders and warp could do the trick but I have so many to do, it's really laborious. I am used to compositing software where you have handles on your mask to manage the softborders, that would be so precious to have ! I hope this will be a future option to madmapper.
    thanks !
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks for your feedback. It's in the whish list