MadMapper usage for restaurant purpose
  • Joachim

MadMapper usage for restaurant purpose

by Joachim » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:11 am

Hi!

We are currently in the process of building a new educational restaurant here at Umeå university school of restaurant and culinary arts and our plan is to have 4 projectors in the restaurant, one in each corner.
    Our goal is to stimulate the students to become creative with their environment and not just to think about what is physically present.
    Since our department use macs, MadMapper seemed to be a decent choice of software to use, but i do have a question for all you wizards here, in regards of hardware.

I have very little knowledge of how the HDMI interface works, if i put the projectors in an HDMI-switch which i then hook up to the DP, with the mac recognize the projectors as four individual devices or will it just see the switch?
    My question really is how do I hook up 4 projectors to my mac and how do i get MadMapper to recognize those projectors as individual devices?
    Also, since the computer is not bought already, any recommendations? Will an i7 MBP suffice?

Kind regards,
    Joachim
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: MadMapper usage for restaurant purpose

by mad-matt » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:33 pm

There are multiple ways to do multi-output. On a MacBook Pro for instance, there are two thunderbolt port where you can plug MiniDP to DVI / HDMI / VGA / Display port adapters. There is also an HDMI output. So you can already plug 3 external screens / projectors.
    There are also splitters, we used a lot Matrox Dual / TripleHead2Go to go from one Mini DisplayPort to 2 or 3 DVI (you can then use passive DVI-HDMI adapters). However their software to setup is not very reliable. We always succeed setting it up, but it's time consuming. Maybe it's better supported on windows. But well, it's popular and unexpansive.
    Better hardware: http://www.datapath.co.uk/multi-display ... atapath-x4
    But more expansive...

On the computer side, it depends. On my MacBookPro late 2013, I could mix 4 HD movies on 4 full HD displays without frame drop. I think we can do more but I don't remember the limit. There can be a limit on the CPU (movie decompression) or on the GPU. I think movie decompression won't be a problem. On the GPU side, doing 4 full HD on a MacBook Pro might be limit, but if you're doing 720p you're more than ok.
    On a Mac Pro 6 full HD outputs runs fluently.
  • Joachim

by Joachim » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:21 am

Hello!

Thank you for the quick answer, it does seem that the simplest solution is to buy a Mac Pro, so we'll opt for that.

Kind regards,
    Joachim
  • kneusteun

by kneusteun » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Joachim wrote:Hello!

Thank you for the quick answer, it does seem that the simplest solution is to buy a Mac Pro, so we'll opt for that.

Kind regards,
    Joachim

BUY THE OLD ONE! I've fried the new one within 2 hours after purchase by using madmapper and 3 projectors to send out 4K.
    Both GPU's are bad soldered and will come loose!!!!! I now use an old macpro 2x6core and it's more beast.

Also the bastards of apple will let you buy expensive cables to hook up couple of projectors, not a simple thunder->hdmi. It need active cables
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:43 pm

and the 120$ cables are not really helping… I second that, buy an old one, the new one is a piece of crap for what you want to do…
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:26 pm

I have 6 of those 30$ adapters and it works fine: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Min ... B00AYAF3MQ
    MadMapper 2.5.0 RC2 works much better on new MacPro if using more than 3 screens (there's a strange stuff with AMD driver that we managed to handle)
    But of course, for the price we would expect a better GPU...