Madmapper and 2500 addressable LED's
  • Martin King

Madmapper and 2500 addressable LED's

by Martin King » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:27 pm

While I haven't got the software yet, we're looking to purchase it in the next few days. I have a project that will have 120 strips of addressable LEDs radiating out from a center point, each strip will have 20 RGB LED's so thats 2500 LED's and with 3 channels per RGB LED that's 7500 channels or 15 universes in DMX terms. I'm looking to run the strips from one or more a Teensy 3.6's Control can be by local USB connection I don't need/want ethernet/Artnet if I can help it.video needs to be mapped onto the circle of LED's at a reasonably smooth frame rate. Is this doable? Even better would be if there is a way to save the stream to an SD card so the Teensy(s) can run standalone but I suspect that isn't possible?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Madmapper and 2500 addressable LED's

by mad-matt » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi Martin,
    You can do it with the teensy, but it would be more complicated than using a LED controller with ArtNet (like Advatek Pixelite - it's cheap and reliable). Using ArtNet will not limit the framerate, Pixelite works up to 100 FPS (if you set Max ArtNet FPS at 100 FPS in MM). It's cheap and there's one fuse on each output, which is a good thing if you have electrical issue or if you do things wrong with your cabling, like putting 220 or 110V directly on the teensy (which happened to a friend of me with teensy, hopefully it didn't got to the USB port of his MacBook...)
    Anyway if you do it with teensy, it should work. Here are latest tutorial files: http://www.madmapper.com/download/madla ... _files.zip
    Cheers
  • Martin King

by Martin King » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:44 pm

This is for a simple shop windows install with the laptop right next to the display so really don't wan't/need the overkill of Artnet and setting up ethernet infrastructure.I've read the tutorial and have a simple test setup working but there are holes in the information which I posted as a comment on another message earlier.

Martin.
  • Martin King

by Martin King » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 pm

.... The electronics side isn't an issue for me, it's what I do for a living but the LED mapping stuff is fairly new to me.