Live camera work is not something you do on your lappy. Hire proper hardware and people if you are serious. Usually there is a operator who does live mixing on dedicated hardware before you add effects(on Modul8 or other).
I'm well aware of what's usually needed for live camera work, but thanks for the totally useless (and patronizing) reply to my question...you must be great fun at parties. Anyways, I've been directing/producing live television for over 20 years, since the days of 3/4" tape and I know what the "industry standards" are. I currently work for a company that has multiple mobile units, and I'm usually using professional switchers/equipment/people for all our live events. The reason I asked my stupid question is that I'm interested in the potential of this software, and also interested in being able to provide small packages for clients that don't have budgets to rent out "proper hardware and people". If we only need a laptop and some I/O gear for a small show, there's no need to chase away a client who can't afford our truck (with "proper hardware and people") because we have nothing else to offer them.
But no, I don't just think you wave a magic video wand to make this stuff happen. I've spent years in mobile trucks, and I know how mobile video production usually works, I just thought we might be getting to a place where the technology is ready to take us somewhere new. You mentioned that usually there is a live mixer on a switcher before Modul8, and that's great...but how do you input/output over a single Thunderbolt? Or do you? It seems that a single thunderbolt MacbookPro won't do it (Modul8 doesn't seem to input/output over a single thunderbolt at the same time), but perhaps the retina Macbooks with two thunderbolt ports might? I'm not sure...I don't have a retina Mac to test, and I'd like to know this is possible before I go out and buy one to try out.
But, even if I could bring in a single camera signal from something like a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, and then output HDMI over the second Thunderbolt/HDMI port...that would be enough to seriously consider it as an option for people who can't afford our "proper hardware and people" for simple, low-budget shoots.
If anyone has any
useful feedback, that'd be great. Again,
useful feedback is what I'm after.