Behringer CMD DV1 problems assigning midi
  • gforrest15

Behringer CMD DV1 problems assigning midi

by gforrest15 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi, I have been trying my best to search for a way to program the Behringer CMD DV1 midi controller to use with M8 and Im not having much success. Half of the controller is fine. Pads are assigned to trigger clip s but the encoders are relative and only send a signal that moves any fader by 2 points then get stuck. Id like to assign the encoders to opacity as absolute values but cant find any way to alter them, even tried using a midi translator on OSX. My other issue is that the other buttons seem to be non assignable, no midi signal is detected when I press them in learn mode in M8.

Does anyone have any experience with this controller or any workarounds as there doesnt seem to be a controller editor for it like my NI products.

Many thanks
  • gforrest15

Re: Behringer CMD DV1 problems assigning midi

by gforrest15 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 pm

Here is a pic to explain more. The bottom pads work fine but the encoders and fx pads are the problem as mentioned above
    Attachments
    1A484BE3-BC17-4AE8-B1F6-2D53AD7FA041.jpeg
    Dv 1
    1A484BE3-BC17-4AE8-B1F6-2D53AD7FA041.jpeg (169.48 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
  • geoffmatters
    activ8 member

by geoffmatters » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:54 am

Start by using an app like "midi monitor" to verify exactly what MIDI is coming out of your unit, particularly the pads and encoders that don't work.

Modul8 will support note and CC data, but e.g. note 13 and CC 13 will collide, so if you are unlucky enough to have a controller that sends both notes and CC you might not be able to use everything.

Encoders are weird, they are not part of the MIDI spec. Often encoders are programmed to work "like a knob" and send CC that ranges between 0 and 127, and it takes some number of complete turns to make the full circle. These should work out of the box with M8. Sometimes encoders are programmed to send some random midi [e.g. CC with value 63] for every click left, and some other midi [same CC with value 65] for every click right. You'd have to find or write a module to handle this, and implement the logic for how much to increase or decrease a keyword value. If that device has a configuration app, see if it lets you change the encoders to behave like normal knobs.

I wrote a module to use Arturia Beatstep encoders to control layer, in that case it was a nice result that the values never got out of sync between the controller and software when switching layer sets. But it took time to write, and in general knobs (or encoders that act like them) are much easier to use.
  • gforrest15

by gforrest15 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi Geoff, many thanks for the reply and info. I have conducted a test and found that the first encoder at the bottom left is sending on CC 64 and the values 63 for a left turn and 65 for a right turn so nowhere near 0-127 for full off and on. The opacity layer Im trying to control for layer one just gets stuck at 50% when turning left and right on the encoder. I dont think there is much I can do about it without an controller editor for the unit!

I have included a midi diagram just in case it sheds any light on a workaround.
    Attachments
    IMG_1023.jpg
    DV1 midi
    IMG_1023.jpg (262.92 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
  • geoffmatters
    activ8 member

by geoffmatters » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:03 pm

It looks like the buttons and encoders in the top half change their MIDI value depending which FX/Focus/Master/Double is on.

Unfortunately M8 doesn't understand encoders (as you observed, the controller is sending standard CCs, so most software will treat it just like a knob near the center position)

You have to find or write a module. I have an "LB - Arturia Beatstep" which controls layer opacity and would be very easy to modify to respond to your device. But at the moment uploading to the online module library seems to be broken.
  • gforrest15

by gforrest15 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:13 pm

Cheers Geoff, thanks for taking the time to help out.
  • geoffmatters
    activ8 member

by geoffmatters » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:43 pm

BTW, what does the "CMD DV-1 TSI" app do? Does it let you change the encoders to act like knobs?
  • gforrest15

by gforrest15 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Its the mapping for use with Traktor DJ.