Why did you buy Modul8 for your VJing software?
  • Sunblaze

Why did you buy Modul8 for your VJing software?

by Sunblaze » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:15 pm

I am new to VJing and am having some difficulties determining what factors are most important when choosing software. Having played both guitar-based noise rock and electronica for probably 20 years, I know there are some subtleties that are usually quite important with a new art form that a beginner doesn't even know to ask about. I don't know how much money I have wasted over the years . . .

So, with that in mind, why did you pick Modul8 over other software packages like Resolume? What does it do better? What do you regret about it? What features in Modul8 do you find indispensable that no other software has? I have downloaded demos of both Modul8 and Resolume, and have played around with V-Module in Ableton, but haven't really dug into anything advanced yet with any of them.

As for me, I am not looking to run massive arena light shows or do any projection mapping -- I am just trying to come up with some ways to liven up small venue shows with multi-media so it isn't just me up there hitting play and nodding my head as I pretend to adjust levels. :mrgreen:
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: Why did you buy Modul8 for your VJing software?

by vanakaru » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:03 pm

At the time I bought M8 it was the best running live video app. I looked into VDMX as well, but found its learning curve intimidating. Resolume was for PC only I think.
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I've recently found that resolume judders with slow moving objects.
    so its back to M8 and VDMX for me for a while.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:39 pm

. the Module editor sealed the deal for me... i like the ability to create and customize how Modul8 behaves and extend its creative possibilities. i hadn't really used python in any meaningful sense but found it pretty easy to pick up and start realizing audio/visual installation art pieces.

. for example, i used Modul8 as the infrastructure for a 'VJ photoboth' where the viewer sat in front of a green screen and used an Xbox 360 controller to go through various FF effects as well as zoom and move the chroma keyed 'layer' of themselves over a black and white background (that slowly moved in a spirograph manner - using 120 spir0 ). when they found something they liked, they could press a button to take a snapshot (using modul8's screen grab feature). all of this is pretty standard faire, but - with the python subsystem and having access to the OS - i was then able to send the screen cap to a black and white laser printer (via lpr) and they'd have a souvenir they could take home with them. i don't know how you'd do that w/the other vj apps...