BACF module 0.5 & general feedback
    haye

BACF module 0.5 & general feedback

by haye » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:14 pm

ok, first i have to agree with all the other guys: you did an awesome job with v2! i'm so impressed!

now about the module:
    the "tap" button is awesome!
    i like the idea of hearing a beat, tapping it and letting the program "learn" from your input. actually more fun and more accurate then some automatism. works great!
    but i still don't understand the purpose of the "synch" button :roll:

by the way: lucky circumstances and the purchase of md8 in october last year kicked me in the vj "business" nearly by accident. and i just wanted you to know, that i'm so happy things went that way. in other words, modul8 is live-changing! :wink:

haye
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:50 pm

when you click synch you can readjust the fader to the beat, so if it doesn't fade on the beat but with the right BPM, you can adjust it to the beat. very useful ;)
    haye

by haye » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:15 pm

ah! yes, very useful indeed!
    thanks for the hint :D
    chromafresh
    super8 member

Re: BACF module 0.5 & general feedback

by chromafresh » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:31 pm

Looking good! And implimented so quickly!! Amazing!

with BACF, I think it would be nice to get some visual feedback regarding the actual BPM so we could see the specific result in numbers (like "128.63 BPM" etc.) a little more clearly than the knob. Otherwise looking pretty good.

One thing about BPM syncing I'd like to see, perhaps with another module that feeds off the same BPM info from BACF, or maybe this should be built into BACF for ease of use:
    The only thing thats missing is a feature that would read the length of the movie file in the selected layer, and start the playback on the first beat, and match the playback speed automatically to loop it properly to the BPM, with options for 2/1, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 playback. In my case, almost all of my loops are 2", 4", 8", 16", or 32" so I've sort of had this usage in mind. Personally I'd like to apply the 2/1, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 with single keystrokes.
    If this could be worked into BACF that would be amazing!

Maybe we should have a forum for Module discussions!?

Cheers and thanks for the incredible developments!
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: BACF module 0.5 & general feedback

by yves@garagecube » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:17 pm

chromafresh wrote:Maybe we should have a forum for Module discussions!?

Definitively! I'll create it.

Yves.
  • ilan

by ilan » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:46 pm

Is there a way to create a controller that would 'scratch' video? Basically it would be fun to just 'stop' the playback of a layer and then scratch it back and forth.

Another function I want to figure out is a way to display the frames of a clip randomly.

Could you elude some information as to how one would achieve this?
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:49 pm

Actually, you don't need any module at all to scratch. I do it all the time. Just use the movie position knob (I actually think it might be called "scratch"). Personally, I've got a couple of breakdancing clips and I assign the scratch function to my BCR2000 and scratch away. Looks pretty bad ass IMHO...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:06 am

Thanks for pointing that out. Indeed by setting the speed of the clip to 0 this is indeed scratching. Well i'll be darned.

Speaking of those knobs... I never quite understood why there are two. In my mind these would be used as loop points like setting the in and out of a clip when say using an NLE. However both knobs appear to do the same thing. If these are not used to set an in and out point then why are there two knobs?

I guess I also like having this control as a slider rather then a knob. The knobs feel a little inacurate and I use a tablet to manipulate my controls... I really like the idea of 'gestural' controls even though modul8 is not really compatible with tablet technology.
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:08 am

senterio wrote:Speaking of those knobs... I never quite understood why there are two. In my mind these would be used as loop points like setting the in and out of a clip when say using an NLE. However both knobs appear to do the same thing. If these are not used to set an in and out point then why are there two knobs?

First knob (one on the left) sets the entry/start point for the clip whenever you trigger/retrigger it. Second one is normal scratching. This appears in the MANUAL ;)
    I guess I also like having this control as a slider rather then a knob. The knobs feel a little inacurate and I use a tablet to manipulate my controls... I really like the idea of 'gestural' controls even though modul8 is not really compatible with tablet technology.
    No prob, I have it assigned to a slider in my PCR-30 ;) You shouold really try to think about getting a controller like the BCF2000
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:53 am

Thank you for the advice. I aready havea Oxygen 8 and a X-Session. Despite all these marvelous toys I still think the wacom tablet allows for more precise controls in some situations. The conjuction of the two is even more interesting.

I won't get into esthetics here but the Wacom tablet is also quite useful for 'drawing' in modul8... which I find quite entertaining.
    chromafresh
    super8 member

by chromafresh » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:23 am

I triend editing Cal6n's "edted 2" version to include also a 1/8 and 1/16 and found that I couldn't do it. I was hoping that the down value at "2" and "4" would work, but no luck!!
    Whats happening here. Sorry for the very newbie question!
  • ekoman

by ekoman » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:48 pm

hi, i deleted beta 1 and now downloaded beta 2... My problem is, that with v2 beta there is no BACF module...can i download it somewhere?
    a haven't got beta 1 on my hdd :(
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:00 pm

In modul8 go to the menu and select modules>show online library. Click on the module you want and hit the 'install' button on the botttom right.
  • ekoman

by ekoman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:12 pm

yeah, that works only when i am online. I mean that if i install any module and close the app, in the next start i won't have that module installed. I need a file - in many places(performances) i don't have internet connection so i can't use modules by online library..plz help

gosh... i'm blind..
    hehe, modules--> save all changes ..
    :)
  • stuart
    activ8 member

by stuart » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:05 am

I love the functionality of the BACF. I have been trying to adapt the code for a different use without any luck though. I want to take the output and send it to a layer opacity instead of the crossfader. I tried replacing line 34 that calls the crossfader with a keyword from the library but I have not had any luck. I am not sure if this is available yet. If it is, can you clue me in to the proper syntax?

this is the line

modul8.setValue('ctrl_master_crossfader_slider', newValue,0)

I think I would need to do is change the ctrl to the desired target.

thought?