Modul8 + Ableton Live over OSC
    The Midi Thief
    master

Modul8 + Ableton Live over OSC

by The Midi Thief » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:46 am

I recently realized that if you modify Ableton Live a bit you can have it sending OSC messages. The OSC module sees these messages from Live but can't do anything with them since they aren't addressed to Modul8. That's when I started coding a dispatch. Read about it here http://themidithief.com/2011/01/ableton-live-modul8/ and let me know if this is something that is useful to you and I will consider making a more usable version of this module.

After installing the OSC folders from mlrV4live in the Live application package, there is no other software needed between Live and Modul8 and you will keep the full resolution of the OSC messages. [/url]
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:12 am

I really want to discuss this with people that are doing audiovisual stuff with Modul8 and Live. I've been doing some further thinking:

Whether an OSC module for Live communication is necessary or not depends on how people are working. Or maybe it could eventually change how people are working. But let's look at what Live does and doesn't do.

Live doesn't send MIDI messages over OSC (at least not to my knowledge). It's really unnecessary if you think about it. MIDI is low res so it wouldn't benefit from being sent over a protocol with higher resolution* like OSC. MIDI is MIDI for good and for worse. So if you are using midi notes (as in note on/off) to trigger things in Modul8 you might as well just stick to MIDI.

But what Live does is sending OSC messages for all knobs and sliders, on the tracks and on the effects (I'm pretty new at Live so bare with me).

So if you map a MIDI controller to a knob/slider in Live using an absolute MIDI value you won't really gain anything by having the message routed over OSC either (shit in, shit out). BUT if you use a MIDI controller that sends a relative value things starts getting interesting. If I remember it correctly (I haven't been able to reproduce this in Live yet) you can set up a knob to have resistance, so that you for instance have to turn a knob 720° to reach 100%. So over OSC 0-100% will represent 0.0-1.0. A lot of nice little increments in between that will allow a much smoother animation in Modul8.

Also if you record value changes over time you should be able to change the values so it isn't as crude as the input from your MIDI controller.

* Just to explain the changes in resolution between MIDI and OSC: Absolute MIDI values goes from 0-127. Let's say you're rotating an object 360° in Modul8 with a midi controller. If you turn the knob 360° (or it's usually less if it's not endless) you will get a rotation with and increment of about 2.8° (360/127) while OSC can sends much smaller increments so that means a smoother rotation.

There might be gaps and errors in my thinking here so feel free to give critique.
    ghostofelvis100
    activ8 member

by ghostofelvis100 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:53 am

Looks really interesting, I shall have a play when I get a chance. I guess I won't be needing those 10ft faders after all...
  • 4UDiOViSU4L

by 4UDiOViSU4L » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:45 am

hey man OSC is the best protocol for 2 way controlling modul8, if you need any help with code just ask,
    there are hundreds of people waiting for a solution between live and modul8, but no one posts, i always browse and read the forum but i never post anything so i created an account just to reply your post.
    that osc module will change the way of working of lot of people, me for sure.
    any chance you can upload a prerelease to the community??
    thanks in advice
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 pm

I'm not convinced myself that this is the best way to go. MIDI is still more flexible with Live since you can send note data. The (unofficial) OSC for Live doesn't send any note data. Meanwhile I'm trying to learn more about Live & MIDI.
  • 4UDiOViSU4L

by 4UDiOViSU4L » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:43 pm

the module two way midi from Udart is a very good way to sync live and modul8 parameters, i'm using it a lot with the IAC virtual port
    anyway OSC seems to be much more flexible and with a higher resolution as you said, cant wait to try it
    oficial specifications maybe usefull

http://cnmat.berkeley.edu/system/files/ ... Cfinal.pdf
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:15 pm

Yes but it's not so much about the abilities/restrictions of OSC, it's more what the unofficial OSC support in Live let's you do. That part I can't do so much about. I don't know about the plans for official OSC support in Live, that might change things. As for now it's possible to listen to everything that Live is sending and send back using the same commands. I investigate what is happening in this field and what the future plans are and if OSC support for notes is something that is planned or if it's even a smart thing to do.
    orion
    super8 member

Re: Modul8 + Ableton Live over OSC

by orion » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:19 am

game changer right here http://www.ooeevv.com/