Locked 27 posts
What is this 'Spacial Scanner'?
  • garageRoot
    garageCube team

What is this 'Spacial Scanner'?

by garageRoot » Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 pm

The 'Spacial Scanner' allows you to 'scan' objects into your computer resulting in a file that you can then use to create content based upon those objects.

To use the 'Spacial Scanner' you need a Canon EOS camera or any QuickTime recognized input and a projector to be connected to your computer. Both the camera and the projector need to be pointed at the object.

MadMapper uses EDSDK

The following Canon cameras are supported:

EOS-1D Mark III
    EOS 40D
    EOS-1Ds Mark III
    EOS DIGITAL REBEL Xsi/450D/ Kiss X2
    EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS/ 1000D/ KISS F
    EOS 50D
    EOS 5D Mark II
    EOS Kiss X3/EOS REBEL T1i /EOS 500D
    EOS 7D
    EOS-1D Mark IV
    EOS Kiss X4/EOS REBEL T2i /EOS 550D
    EOS 60D
    EOS Kiss X5/EOS REBEL T3i /EOS 600D
    EOS Kiss X50/EOS REBEL T3 /EOS 1100D
  • bLackburst

by bLackburst » Tue May 31, 2011 8:52 am

When I try this out the scanner doesn't seem to scan my full output. Madmapper and system output are at full res, and when I enable the cursor to the output I can reach the extremities of my projection surface but once I open spacial scanner, the patterns are only a portion of the output size and it results in only a partial scan. Am I doing something wrong?
    Also, what are the 2s and 3s options?
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue May 31, 2011 9:55 am

Are you using the demo version?
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 am

what happen when you output the test pattern?
  • bLackburst

by bLackburst » Tue May 31, 2011 10:55 am

Yes, I am using the demo version. I would have thought the demo version would demonstrate it's abilities. The bars and grids type pattern fills my output, it's just the spatial scanner that doesn't . It scanned the parts it had quite accurately though, just wish it was the whole output.
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:06 pm

@bLackburst, the demo version does only a limited scan.
  • lumnz

by lumnz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:45 pm

can spatial scanner work with dual/triplehead2go?
    assuming you have a camera view wide enough to see all the projector pixels.
  • lumnz

spatial scanner

by lumnz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Does the spatial scanner retrieve height information from the grey code scan?

is the file that it creates only a reference image that you use when creating quads and meshes? or can it be read in by madmapper as a correspondance map?
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:00 pm

it's only an image. You can use it to create custom content that is really precise without drawing through the projector.

The aim of this tool is for you to scan the thing, grab the image, go home, work with it and come back on site and project what you did fullscreen.
  • quixoticfusion.daniel

by quixoticfusion.daniel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:04 am

The XLR8 USB capture device by Daystar is capable of being recognized in MadMapper.
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:19 am

• perspixe

by perspixe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:37 pm

sigmasix wrote:it's only an image.

So... what more does it give than a simple image, a photograph.
    When I started playing with the demo today I jumped to this, hoping it would give an actual 3D model of the scene so mapping could be done directly on surfaces, using the position, perspective, and even relief of these surfaces... ideal world. I guess I dreamed that because I actually have experience with 3D structured light scanning, the exact same technology, but using it to scan surfaces at 0.4 mm accuracy.
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:44 pm

The benefit of the scan is very useful because it provides you with an image that, when dropping it back into MadMapper will be exactly placed on the object providing you don't move the projector. This kind of accuracy is not possible when simply taking a picture.

3D geometry is a tall order. If the object or building has a lot of complexity you may end up having to spend more time cleaning up the geometry then if you simply used the scanned image as a starting point for re-creating the building from scratch.

Not that we are ruling out any possibility of this type of technology for the future. If the process can be made to reduce the complexity and therefore the amount of work reduced, it is definitely something we will want to incorporate into the software.
  • perspixe

by perspixe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Understand that. The geometry would need to be meshed, taking care of holes in the scanned point cloud and that would be a very serious work for you to implement of for any user to post process. Thanks for the clarification.
  • awatku

Re: What is this 'Spacial Scanner'?

by awatku » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:39 am

Hi
    I got Canon EOS 5D mark II which is in the list, but it doesn't work, I use USB cable
    in fact, the madmapper can not recognized my camera,
    when I tried a sony video camer with firewire cable, it works but when I use Canon EOS 5D mark II with USB cable it doesn't work,
    I borrow a macbook from my friend and it has madmapper,
    I can hold the macbook in some days,
    if it was ok, I'll buy a one,
    I'll be grateful if anyone can help me out of this situation,
Locked 27 posts