Locked 2 posts Page 1 of 1
Syphon Input vs. Imported Movies
  • michaeljamesmette

Syphon Input vs. Imported Movies

by michaeljamesmette » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:06 pm

OK - quick question.

I'm designing a live show with audio, video, DMX lights, & pixel strips (WS2812b). Mad mapper is basically driving the pixel lights and my other program (qLab) is synching up the other video, audio, and DMX outputs.

To be precise with the programming, I have created a small (256 x 128) video that I am sending to drive the pixel strips (through mad light). It has worked great and keeps everything in synch with the music. I've been using a syphon output from qLab but am wondering about the performance vs. importing all of the videos into MadMapper and starting them via MIDI or OSC. I'm running everything OK now, (about 30% CPU usage) except when the temperature goes up on my computer, then it starts throttling the processors to save heat and the videos drop down to 1 - 2 FPS.

Thoughts? Is there a significant improvement to importing the video vs. using Syphon?

Thanks for your time and input.

peace,
    mjm
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Syphon Input vs. Imported Movies

by mad-matt » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 am

Syphon is very light. It mostly depends if your application generating the Syphon stream is using a lot of GPU.

when the temperature goes up on my computer, then it starts throttling the processors to save heat and the videos drop down to 1 - 2 FPS

1-2 FPS in MadMapper ? Or at the output of qLab ? To test, stop MadMapper and start Syphon Simple Client application, it shows the Syphon stream FPS, download it here: https://github.com/Syphon/Simple/releas ... Apps.3.zip

If you look at the Activity Monitor, is CPU very busy ?
Locked 2 posts Page 1 of 1