Locked 24 posts
How do I prepare my media?
  • ruben117

by ruben117 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm

hey.

i'm running version 2.6 beta (build 848) on a mac pro 2,26 ghz 8core with 6 gb ddr3 ram. Only with one video layer and two very short and simple animation-videos (some dots flying around) the output playback is very slow or even stops completely. The main videos i want to use are photo-jpg, 75% and fullhd resolution. The animations vary around 720x576, also photo-jpg.
    The output monitors (4 HDTVs) are connected via 2 ati graphic-adapters. The main adapter (for the TFT-screen) is one of those newer gt120 nvidia cards. Could the compatibility of the different graphic-adapters be the problem? Or simply the high resolution of the videos?

help! :?

thx.
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:22 pm

Hello ruben117,

yes mixing ATI and nVidia cards gives this kind of slowliness.

ATI driver and nVidia driver are asked to collaborate to exchange textures. You could test of using only the ATI cards (plug nothing on the nvidia). So you will get 1 main screen and 3 HDTVs.

If you get better results, the problem comes from mixing cards vendor.

Best regards.
  • damianwyard@yahoo.ca

Re: How do I prepare my media?

by damianwyard@yahoo.ca » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:36 am

Hi there, I am a complete beginner with Module8 but learning fast.
    I downloaded some music videos in mp4 format and started to use DXV compression with these files using QTpro (with audio taken out)
    Is Photo JPEG the better option over DXV ? And by using photo JPEG, does it automatically compress to 75%?
    Thanks.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:55 pm

[quote="damianwyard@yahoo.ca"]
    I downloaded some music videos in mp4 format and started to use DXV compression with these files using QTpro (with audio taken out)
    Is Photo JPEG the better option over DXV ? And by using photo JPEG, does it automatically compress to 75%?
    Thanks.[/quote]

. different codecs have different pros and cons. some are better for high quality video that will be played linearly versus other that do well if you'll be skipping back and forth in the video. as far as i know, there is no perfect codec for every situation.

. i like Apple Motion JPEG B (at 75%) for most of my videos (ones that do not have an alpha channel). i recommend downloading 'MPEG Streamclip' - it allows you to convert videos to several formats (including photo jpeg) and set the percentage of quality, no audio tracks, etc.

. good luck!

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • damianwyard@yahoo.ca

by damianwyard@yahoo.ca » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:04 am

Thanks James, I'll keep experimenting :)
  • garageRoot
    garageCube team

by garageRoot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:19 pm

The latest Beta version (Modul8 2.8) Supports HAP Codec.
    log on the yourspace page to download it and download the codec
    http://www.modul8.ch/yourspace

Gael
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

by pele2010 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:20 am

Hi ,

photo jpg is a codec that is supported by the graphic card.
    it runs without consuming processor power.
    motion jpg a and b : i don´t use them since i know photo jpg.

the new HAP codec is very good too.

it provides an alpha channel.

hope this helps
  • mr.meowingtons

by mr.meowingtons » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:22 pm

[quote="garageRoot"]

- If your loops are longer, you should use the Photo-JPEG code with high-quality compression. It is a good-compromise between the bandwidth and the CPU time cost. Also the quality is very good. It does not have time compression and is very performant for speed change and for backward play back. If your movies are not too long, they will be preloaded compressed in memory. So even if it is not as fast as the precedent case (the movie still has to be decompressed in real-time), the disk is not used for play back. If your movies are too long, they are streamed from the hard-disk, in this case having a fast hard disk is very important. You may think of using an external harddisk to improve the performances.

[/quote]

I am so frustrated and confused by the Photo-JPEG codec. I have tried rendering several clips into the JPEG codec with Adobe Premiere and After Effects and every time, it spits out the entire thing in stills. I know that is what JPEGs are but how am I supposed to import a video clip into modul8 as JPEG when each clip is broken down into several hundred images??? I have searched every possible combination of keywords I can fathom and i still can't find any way to re-render a video clip as JPEG without making it a motion JPEG.
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:07 pm

[quote="mr.meowingtons"][quote="garageRoot"]

- If your loops are longer, you should use the Photo-JPEG code with high-quality compression. It is a good-compromise between the bandwidth and the CPU time cost. Also the quality is very good. It does not have time compression and is very performant for speed change and for backward play back. If your movies are not too long, they will be preloaded compressed in memory. So even if it is not as fast as the precedent case (the movie still has to be decompressed in real-time), the disk is not used for play back. If your movies are too long, they are streamed from the hard-disk, in this case having a fast hard disk is very important. You may think of using an external harddisk to improve the performances.

[/quote]

I am so frustrated and confused by the Photo-JPEG codec. I have tried rendering several clips into the JPEG codec with Adobe Premiere and After Effects and every time, it spits out the entire thing in stills. I know that is what JPEGs are but how am I supposed to import a video clip into modul8 as JPEG when each clip is broken down into several hundred images??? I have searched every possible combination of keywords I can fathom and i still can't find any way to re-render a video clip as JPEG without making it a motion JPEG.[/quote]

In AE or Premiere export Format as "Quicktime", and in Format Options, select "Photo - JPEG"
Locked 24 posts