Locked 30 posts
How to configure the video output?
  • garageRoot
    garageCube team

How to configure the video output?

by garageRoot » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:23 pm

- Make sure that a projector or monitor is connected to your computer.
    - Configure the second screen of your computer in the preferences.
    - In Modul8 select 'Output > Fullscreen'.
  • zig

Re: How to configure the video output ?

by zig » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:46 pm

"the second screen of your computer"

which mac get it ?
    it doesn't work with my imac g4 :(
    VJ-A2D
    activ8 member

by VJ-A2D » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:43 am

maybe you don't have dual output on your computer and video card...
    Plus2 Collectiv
    Jesper Fryd
    activ8 member

by Jesper Fryd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:23 am

VJ-A2D wrote:maybe you don't have dual output on your computer and video card...

since it's an iMac G4 you can strike the "maybe"
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:58 am

Boris * garageCube team
  • fedecato

problems with second monitor

by fedecato » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:47 am

I have a new mac book pro 2009, and i dont know how set the second monitor,
    i conect another monitor, but the full screen its on the first monitor
    thank you
  • vjjustinallen

by vjjustinallen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Look under your display panel in OS X. Make sure that your mac see's the second monitor.

Go under output in Modul8 and select Full Screen.

That should do it for you.
  • azar

video output

by azar » Mon May 03, 2010 2:30 pm

I don't know how to keep my main interface on the desktop of my macbook
    and continue to use all the modul8 effects

And have the main view only (output) on the projector(vga)

Thanx for your help
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Mon May 03, 2010 2:53 pm

system preferences/monitors/arrangement - uncheck mirror displays
  • Chase

by Chase » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:32 am

I've been playing around with Modul8 for a couple weeks now and a good friend asked me to VJ a concert for his band tomorrow. I'm excited but I was reading through the Modul8 Manual (version 2.5) and on page 24 it says:

"If your computer supports more than one video output, the full screen view is placed on the second screen, if not, it is placed on the main screen over the user-interface... Mixing without the user-interface requires that you use a midi table or keyboard shortcuts."

Now I'm really stressed out because the user manual for Modul8 seems to say something totally opposite of what people here have been talking about. This thread seems to suggest that the projector would go full screen while my computer screen would allow me to see the user-interface, like powerpoint, etc. which makes sense. Why though would the user manual basically deny this is possible?

Of course I do NOT have a video projector at home to test this out so I'll find out the hard way tomorrow evening when I set up using the venue's projector. I was planning on just showing up with my MacBook Pro laptop and some cables to connect to the projector. Now I'm wondering if I need to run out and buy or rent a midi controller...

Anyway, I was hoping that someone would be able to either confirm my fears or alleviate them so that I can get some sleep tonight!!!
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:56 am

As also said in this tread above just make sure mirrored is turned of. Otherwise I see no problem just connecting to the projector and you are readdy to whatever.
  • Chase

by Chase » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks @vanakaru for the quick reply!

Yeah, I figured that it would be like this. But when I started to flip through the manual and saw the quote I posted previously I became absolutely terrified!!! Once again, I wonder why they don't explain this option in the manual. In fact, the manual seems to suggest that it's not even an option!
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:08 am

The manual is not wrong. If you only have one output on your computer (i.e. a mac mini connected directly to the projector) you cannot see the modul8 interface while in fullscreen. Most of the time you can connect a display and a projector on the same machine, or you're using a notebook and have the notebook's display anyway, so there's no problem.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Chase wrote:I've been playing around with Modul8 for a couple weeks now and a good friend asked me to VJ a concert for his band tomorrow. I'm excited but I was reading through the Modul8 Manual (version 2.5) and on page 24 it says:

"If your computer supports more than one video output, the full screen view is placed on the second screen, if not, it is placed on the main screen over the user-interface... Mixing without the user-interface requires that you use a midi table or keyboard shortcuts."

You need to read this again as it is saying exactly the same as everyone on this thread. One output+ full screen=no interface
    Two outputs + full screen= 1 output interface and one output your mix

• Chase

by Chase » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:34 am

@sigmasix: Okay well the manual may not be technically 'wrong' but it certainly isn't clear. I consider myself quite competent when it comes to computers (I've been teaching Final Cut, After Effects, Photoshop, etc. at a University for nearly 10 years) and I was very confused by the wording of the manual. Of course, like @mowgli_uk seems to suggest, I must be a complete idiot because after reading it over and over again I was still confused, or you might want to consider that that part of the text could use some editing. I assume (perhaps naively it seems) that the purpose of a manual is to be as straight forward as possible.

Considering how well the rest of the manual goes into depth about every other aspect of the program, it's a little strange to me that potentially the most important part of the program (output) is conveyed in a confusing way. I understand 'Single Monitor Output' to mean a single output besides my screen, since I am using a MacBook Pro laptop. Since most laptops only have one output, I don't think I'm the only person who was left scratching their had about this. Considering that the vast majority of people using this program are people VJ'ing with their laptops at venues, rather than hauling their towers with them, it's bizarre to me that the manual doesn't specifically address this set-up.

Also, I find it hard to believe that there exists a single Modul8 user who VJs using a Mac Mini. Who would spend $$$ on professional software and then use it with an entry/amateur-level Mac? Now THAT is what I can an amateur. And regardless, if that is the type of hardware the manual is referring to when talking about 'single monitor output,' then why not actually mention that?!

Anyway, I stand by my opinion that the manual is absolutely incoherent in this area and if you're convinced that that is my problem that I don't understand it, then well, I guess we have a different conception about what the purposes of a manual actually are...
Locked 30 posts