Maximum weight of projector to hang from drywall ceiling?
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

Maximum weight of projector to hang from drywall ceiling?

by AgentD » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:51 am

Hi,

I know this might be slightly off-topic but I am hoping that some MadMapper user has come across with the same issue.

I am a projection artist and I am planning for a projection mapping installation for an exhibition. I need to install 4 projectors from the ceiling which is made with drywall. I want to use over 6500 lumens projectors and these tend to be over 20~30 ilbs. The heaviest projector that I installed on the drywall ceiling was 10lbs and I am wondering what would the heaviest that can normally take. I am going to use a common universal ceiling mount.

Any advice or suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you!!
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: Maximum weight of projector to hang from drywall ceiling?

by jasonbeyers » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:03 am

I would strongly caution against hanging a projector from only drywall/sheetrock -- especially if people may be standing below them. Ceiling drywall is not designed to hold weight like that, and I'd say the max safe weight supported by ceiling drywall alone is *zero*. Even mounting that weight to a wall (with drywall only) is questionable.

There will be ceiling joists spaced 16" or 24" apart (spacing may be different outside of US) and you'll want to mount the projectors to those, as they are solid wood or possibly metal. Use a stud finder to locate the joists hidden behind the drywall, and use screws long enough to reach them. You'll only be able to affix two of the projector mount holes to these, since the joists aren't very wide, but you could use drywall anchors for the other holes if you wish. But the real strength will come from the screws in the joists.

You can also mount a safety line/wire to the same joist for extra security. Depending on your locale there may be laws requiring these safety wires anyway, if this is a public venue.

I've also seen plates of plywood attached to the ceiling, spanning multiple joists, and projectors can then be mounted anywhere on that plywood. You could paint the plywood to match the ceiling paint for aesthetics. This same strategy is used to mount really heavy TVs to walls.

Hope that helps!
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

by AgentD » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:56 am

Thank you so much for your inputs. I like your idea of using the plywood on the ceiling. What if I attach good size of plywood (ex 20” x20”) on the drywall ceiling with multiple toggle bolts to spread out the weight and lower the weight on each point and nail the projector ceiling mount on the plywood? Would that work?
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:49 am

The plywood should be attached to the joists, so no toggle bolts here. With a 20" x 20" piece, you're already good to go if the joists are spaced 16" apart, since the board already spans two of them. Use screws all the way through the board + ceiling drywall to the joists, it's the only safe way for something of this weight.

If the joists are spaced further apart, just use a longer piece of plywood until you can cover two of them in one direction.

Use a stud finder to find the joists. You can also tap on the ceiling to confirm; it will sound hollow if it's not the right spot.
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

by AgentD » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 pm

Thank you so much for the in advise. I am going to bring the stud finder this weekend to check the ceiling. Hopefully, I can find the studs! I will keep you posted.