Newbie question: replacing 3D objects without redoing calibration?
  • Orvegaard

Newbie question: replacing 3D objects without redoing calibration?

by Orvegaard » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi! I'm very new to madmapper and I'm struggling with replacing 3D-objects across an entire project. We're projecting stuff onto a 3D printed model of a city, with a lot of different cues playing different movie files on the same obj (UV-mapped).

The client now needs to add another building to the projection surface, so I was thinking I could just export a new 3D model and relink it in the software, and it would update across all cues. But I can't really get it to work: the calibration doesn't get applied to the new geometry and seems unrecoverable except by undoing to before I relinked.

I come from a 3D background, so this behaviour seems a bit strange to me. Shouldn't I be able to relink the object while keeping all the transform values? Is there a workflow for this (maybe "freezing", "baking" or "applying" the calibration somehow, maybe relinking the geo some other way), or do I have to recalibrate the entire thing every time the source geometry changes?

Sorry if this has been answered some other place, or if i'm in the wrong forum! As I said, I'm very new to this software and community, so I appreciate every hint I can get.
  • Orvegaard

Re: Newbie question: replacing 3D objects without redoing calibration?

by Orvegaard » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:10 pm

The question still stands, I would love to learn how to do this from within the software. But I did manage to "relink" it the old fashioned way by renaming the old OBJ and letting MM "find" the new OBJ on file open instead! :)
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Newbie question: replacing 3D objects without redoing calibration?

by mad-matt » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:15 pm

No if you change the 3D model you have to do the calibration again.
    But you have to do it only once.
    Is that an issue ?