Duplicate / Clone
  • Zoltan

Duplicate / Clone

by Zoltan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi,
    I'm testing madmapper coming from VDMX.
    I was wondering what is the difference between duplicate and clone in the edition menu ?

And wish to know if it's possible to have one surface clone of an other one, so if I change the material on the parent one the children is doing so.
    Maybe using syphon ?

Best
    Zoltan
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Duplicate / Clone

by mad-matt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:27 am

Hi,
    If you want to change the media on multiple surfaces at once, you have to select both surfaces and click the visual "assign" button. You can also have the two surfaces in a group, so when the group is selected, assigning a media will assign to all children (recursively). You can also use the "selection groups" to have various selections stored depending on your own criterias.
    Cloning doesn't do a "shadow" copy. The cloned surface has no relation with the one itwas cloned from.
    The difference between clone and duplicate is:
    - For video surfaces: it doesn't shift the spatial position, so the clone is exactly on top of the source
    - For DMX fixtures: it doesn't change the DMX address, so if you have a bunch of DMX fixtures correctly patched in universe 0 and have the exact same patching in other universe, you clone all the universe 0 fixtures and shift universe by one on all clones in a single click.
  • Zoltan

Re: Duplicate / Clone

by Zoltan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:55 pm

Thank you !