Least expensive computer to run Mad Mapper (cheapest)
  • ProjectileObjects
    activ8 member

Least expensive computer to run Mad Mapper (cheapest)

by ProjectileObjects » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:17 am

What is a low price computer with decent specifications that can run MadMapper for a standalone installation?

I'm assuming it would be a windows PC?

Something compact? Mini or Micro PC?

Thanks
  • timbrass
    activ8 member

Re: Least expensive computer to run Mad Mapper (cheapest)

by timbrass » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:48 pm

Having tried to run MM on some old laptops, the cheapest is going to be a second hand laptop with 8GB + of memory and a GPU that can get better than 600 on the Novabench GPU benchmark. If you just want to run scenes/cues then you might pick up a cheap laptop with broken hinge/cracked screen.... Obviously it depends on the complexity of the graphics
  • Benoit
    ultim8 member

by Benoit » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:37 pm

indeed, we still use "old" computers from the early mid 2010s sometimes, since madmapper is not that greedy it runs smoothly
    although it's for testings, experimenting etc.
    you do need a decent PC / mac with decent specs (and a dedicated graphics card) for serious work - I mean (heavy) use of materials, large amount of fixtures, etc.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:07 pm

MiniMad is the best option to keep a video mapping (with a single movie - not interactive (audio/midi etc.)). It's stable and mapping handles can be easiely moved with hardware buttons, so it can be manipulated by a technician who doesn't know MadMapper or has no experience with softwares.
    If you need MIDI / OSC / audio interactive or if you have more complex setup to do, the cheapest I used is Vivostick / ComputeStick (playing back 720p smoothly, 1080p30 I think it was ok). It depends on your project.
  • ProjectileObjects
    activ8 member

by ProjectileObjects » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:05 pm

Thanks, I'm going to try some fan less mini PCs and report the results of my findings. I agree that the Mini Mad is amazing, but I want to find something that will run smoothly outside in an external enclosure as part of an LED installation with sound reactivity.

If you have any tips for that, I'd also appreciate it. The M1 Mac minis are inexpensive, but I'm unsure if there are any issues with them an MM.

Thanks!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:11 pm

The M1 Mac minis are inexpensive, but I'm unsure if there are any issues with them an MM.
    No problem reported. We're also working on a native Silicon build.