Custom light fixture help please for noobie (UPDATE)
  • pattyo34

Custom light fixture help please for noobie (UPDATE)

by pattyo34 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 am

Hi guys!
    I have been using madmapper for a year or so for my band for light shows, and am absolutely loving it. I got help from a friend originally to set it all up (I use an Arri Skypanel as the one light source currently).

I've recently bought two new SGC P120 RGB tube lights, and am wanting to incorporate them into the light show too, however I am struggling to:
    a) create a profile for the lights, and
    b) get them to operate in a similar way to how my Skypanel currently does.

I have the DMX information provided to me from the manual of the lights (https://sgclighting.com/pages/user-manual - see page 8 ), but don't know how to translate that into creating a profile for the lights in MadMapper.
    Could anyone please help me out? I have looked a lot online and can't seem to find any easy tutorials explaining the process.

My light show is very simple, just a single pixel, sampling videos I made where the colours change in time to the songs. All I want is for the tubes to display the same colours as they currently appear on the Skypanel too.

Any help would be really really appreciated as I am a total noobie with this and am very much in over my head.

Thanks so much in advance
    Pat
    Last edited by pattyo34 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Custom light fixture help please for noobie

by franz » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:51 am

switch your SGC fixture to mode P6: 8bit RGB 3 channels,
    then make a standard fixture such as generic RGB
    Attachments
    Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 11.50.39.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 11.50.39.png (13.78 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
  • pattyo34

by pattyo34 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:47 am

Thanks so much Franz! I'll give this a crack :)
    As it currently stands I'm struggling to get my light to communicate with the computer - I have it hooked up directly from Mini DMX out -> RJ45 Ethernet straight into my computer's Ethernet port, however my system is not detecting the light.
    Frustrating because when I do the same setup with my Arri Skypanel it is detected, but for this light (SGC P120) it just isn't able to communicate with the computer it seems
  • pattyo34

by pattyo34 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:14 am

switch your SGC fixture to mode P6: 8bit RGB 3 channels,
    then make a standard fixture such as generic RGB
    Hey Franz!

My DMX artnet node finally arrived, and I was able to correctly hook up my RGB tube to Madmapper now and it is finally detected.

The Issue I'm having now I believe is one with the profile, in that when I run any outputs to the light, it doesn't display what it should be. I have tried the Generic RGB Pixel fixture, tried adding different sliders, using different presets, experimenting with the different profiles on the light itself, but to me it seems like the directions (for R G B values) are not aligned with those within the light itself, thus not recreating the correct light show. Do you have any advice on how I can ensure the profile is correct for the light?

Thanks again for your help
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Custom light fixture help please for noobie (UPDATE)

by franz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:45 pm

maybe you hardware foixture is in BGR instead of RGB ... ?
    try to send full red, check the color, if it is red, then ok, if it is green, then you would know red and green are inverted