OSC string
  • BN visuals

OSC string

by BN visuals » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:13 pm

Hi,

I'm setting up an automated installation that receives osc-commands. Managed to connect everything but when it comes to strings I'm having trouble getting the text generator to update. It's mapped correctly and receiving string when I remove the active message, but it does not update automatically.

Is there a work around?
    Does anybody know of another way of making this? Maybe a separate shader?
  • BN visuals

Re: OSC string

by BN visuals » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:59 pm

Managed to make this happen perfectly trough Vuo, no problem, but Vuo is not compatible with Mad Mapper yet. Will this change?
    -After all Quarts Composer is pretty outdated.
  • BN visuals

by BN visuals » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:10 pm

Having the same issue with the laser text module. OSC string to the text field does not refresh before I physically try to Edit the text field.

Imagine this is a simple fix. Maybe with a refresh-button that can be pinged together with the New string coming in?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:10 pm

I can't find any issue, at least in MM 5.0.4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJKAfkU9FXs
    Which version are you running ?
  • BN visuals

by BN visuals » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:06 pm

Ok, hmm. I will have to look further into the sending end then. It is sent from Max, so the problem might lay there. I'll keep you updated.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:28 pm

Do you put double quotes around the string ? I have no idea how you send OSC messages from Max. Does it work with something different than a string ?
  • BN visuals

by BN visuals » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:50 pm

A little update here.

First: we're two colleagues working on this, the dataprogrammer and me: the designer. My colleague is collecting a number of values from an weather API and porting them to mad mapper over OSC. All data is coming in and we're scaling them to fit the design. There is a number of issues that we haven't figured out yet and we're still a little confused. 🤔

Main problem is that the faults don't seem consistent.

Strings come in like you illustrate, but only when I manually change the text box.
    Some value data come in every refresh (2000 milliseconds) in max (Y-position in output of MAD) If I move the surface around it pops back like its supposed to, but in some cases it don't.

Some data, formatted exactly the same way, only update if I change the input. First it pops back to the previous value for a tent of a second, then over to the new value. Very confusing.

Any Idea what might be a good place to search for a solution?

-my programmer is pretty confident the problem should sit somewhere in how MAD receives the values.
  • BN visuals

by BN visuals » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:20 am

Found a bug here, that might have been the connected of this problem I'm experiencing.

BUG: mapping a osc value to pos y will only work, but trying to show the input value in a text box next to it at the same time automatically changes the value for all receiving instances of that value to have six decimals, thus making it not work for the pos y any more.

In the attached images you can see what happens to the value mapped to pos y when a second osc mapping of the same input is added.
    Attachments
    Skjermbilde 2022-10-05 kl. 11.15.38.png
    Skjermbilde 2022-10-05 kl. 11.15.38.png (54.71 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
    Skjermbilde 2022-10-05 kl. 11.16.40.png
    Skjermbilde 2022-10-05 kl. 11.16.40.png (39.96 KiB) Viewed 2152 times