BlackMagic UltraStudio Monitor (?)
    caneron
    activ8 member

BlackMagic UltraStudio Monitor (?)

by caneron » Thu May 26, 2022 2:51 am

Using an M1 Max.

In QLab, the UltraStudio Monitor shows up properly.

In MadMapper, it doesn't seem to show up at all? I thought these devices were supported.

Anyone know?
    creative technology producer, designer
    🫠 https://www.vacationland.club
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: BlackMagic UltraStudio Monitor (?)

by Pierre Guilluy » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:56 am

I've actually tried using my Blackmagic devices on M1 and while the drivers install without any error, none of the devices shows up in the System Preferences Blackmagic setup panel, and by extension in any application supporting it.

Is there something special you did to get your devices to show up on your system?
    caneron
    activ8 member

by caneron » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:45 pm

Woah sorry for the delay.

(working on an M1)

UltraStudio doesn't show up in the way a traditional display shows up. It shows up as an output for specific applications. So when you plug one in, configure it (give it a name, set it to the proper resolution and refresh), it will show up as an out in those applications. In QLab, it shows up as a display you can route video to. In Premiere, it does the same.

In MadMapper, it doesn't show up at all, so you can't route video to it without employing a work around.

You can SPOUT from MadMapper to QLAB (4.7) and then output it that way. But the workflow wants to be QLab for QStack in QLab and MadMapper for signal distro and mapping.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:29 pm

For the moment, MadMapper can use Blackmagic devices to capture video (video-input), but not to yet display video (video-output).

We're thinking about adding such an option in a future update.
    caneron
    activ8 member

by caneron » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:08 pm

For the moment, MadMapper can use Blackmagic devices to capture video (video-input), but not to yet display video (video-output).

We're thinking about adding such an option in a future update.
    yeah that would definitely be helpful because MadMapper is at the end of the chain
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:59 pm

yeah that would definitely be helpful because MadMapper is at the end of the chain
    We're now actively working on Blackmagic output support.

Out of curiosité, are you willing to use such device as an output to compensate for the lack of an extra video-output on the graphics card, or is there another reason?
    caneron
    activ8 member

by caneron » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:01 pm

Apologies for the delay! I need to turn on notifications lol.

I was using the BMDD UltraStudio Monitor to see how it performed versus native outputs. I was hoping to get the kind of results you get out of the 8-channel BMDD video card. For 8x 1080 channels that 8-channel video card hits the CPU differently and does a great job performance wise vs using something like 2x RTXA4000s. In Mad's case, the hypothesis is that on a multi-card system - all outputs could be driven via one high end GPU and then drawn by the BMDD. This would keep things in sync and cause less issues vs. multicard.

In Touch, you can have specific outputs assigned to be driven by specific cards (and the affinity/mosaic trick), which solves for a lot of this, but it's not MAD and I want it to be MAD haha.