Slicing and re-arranging an existing output
  • play.vj

Slicing and re-arranging an existing output

by play.vj » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:28 pm

Hi all,

Had a problem solving a LED screen mapping. The output I use is a single HD screen, while touring with a rock band, I come across many different screen setups. Usually, when the LED is provided by the event, the placement is creative, mostly not 16x9. Last weekend I came across a setup That I culd not solve with MadMapper and had to spout my output to a different vj software whose output seetings I understand.

The problem was that I had to slice my output into three pieces and lay them out to suit the LED processor. The screen was 2480x720 while the Processor was only HD, so the pixels that were too wide were cut and placed under the image, as there was stil unused pixelds vertically.

The queston is: What is the best method to duplicate the main output, make silices of the main output and arrange the slices to fit the map on the processor?

Thank's1
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Slicing and re-arranging an existing output

by mad-matt » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:26 pm

Best is to make your composition in a video output/projector with destination set to "None" but with "Publish as internal loopback" activated. Then make a second video output with destination set to your video connection going to the LED driver, and in this one you'll make quads with theh various sections of the composition. One the setup is done, you'll only work in the composition.
  • play.vj

Re: Slicing and re-arranging an existing output

by play.vj » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:24 pm

Anyone have a workflow for compensating "negative space". Meaning the space that in between strips of LED. An often used method when there is not enough LED to cover a certain surface, the LED gets divided into strips to cover more surface. Video displayed looks strange and compensating for that space is usually good.

Has anyone figured a good workflow to solve this?

In theory this is what I came up with. Any comments appreciated

1: Enlarge the original output to the new size, actual pixels + negative space, by eyeballing the estimated size.
    2: Create masks to the exact pixels of the LED strips
    3: Move the masked/cropped slices to fit into the resolution of the output