Effective preview of LED mapping output
  • cwrong

Effective preview of LED mapping output

by cwrong » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:07 pm

Hello everyone,
    I'm currently developing a LED mapping system using your software.
    I am not able to have a realistic preview of the outcome. I have a 2-D fixture setup, how can I obtain a preview that correctly maps my fixtures?
    I've tried to generate lines from the fixtures, and then apply as texture the animation, but the result is kind of strange.
    hope you can help me,

thanks
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: Effective preview of LED mapping output

by jasonbeyers » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:50 pm

What I do, is use a loopback texture (“virtual projector”) to feed the actual content to the LED fixtures. I do this to simplify changing content on all my LEDs at once, and to let me use line surfaces. the whole LED arrangement is always looking at the the same texture stream, and I just change what is playing on that source texture (can even use multiple layers of content over that source window).

One benefit of this approach is that this texture stream can also be used for some rudimentary previsualization. I usually take a perspective screenshot from my 3D modeling software (showing how the LEDs are arranged in a 3D space but from at an angle). Then I create lines overlaid on that screenshot image, and use the loopback texture as the source for those lines (eyeballing where each line should look, for that loopback texture).

See the attached image for an example layout showing a basic previz arrangement, with the source of the loopback texture shown off to the left (actually, a chain of loopback textures).

I’ve been meaning to try Unreal engine for proper 3D previz but this is how I do it now.
    Attachments
    757C39C9-9581-481B-A5C9-618922CD8BFE.png
    757C39C9-9581-481B-A5C9-618922CD8BFE.png (364.32 KiB) Viewed 1021 times