Music Keyframing
  • rna_parts

Music Keyframing

by rna_parts » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:31 am

I purchased an annual license of Madmapper, the Projection control Extension, and even got 1 mini-mad to test before purchasing more for the other projectors in our permanent installation.

I had high hopes for Madmapper and really went head first into making this powerful tool work. I’ve watched over 50 tutorial videos, read all the documentation provided, poured through the Garagecube / Madmapper forums, searched the web, but have not found the answer

Here is my issue:

We have a projection mapping show on a building with music. I want to trigger scene changes based on key parts and words of the music. I want to make sure the music and video are in perfect sync or you lose the magic.

I also want to use the scheduling feature of Madmapper so the show will play on schedule during evening hours in the month of December.

The only solution recommended in the forums is to use an external tool such as Vezér OR to create small video files with the music embedded and let the timing go by the length of the video clip. The video clip solution is suuuuper choppy and does not chain together to have a smooth playing of the music, so that is a bust, Vesér is complicated and I am not sure I will be able to take advantage of the madMapper scheduler so that is will reach out and also play and time my auto files.

I would love it if Madmapper just had a place to lay down a music track and allow me to place Scene triggers at any keyframes along the music path.

Since it does not do that, I am at a loss on how to play a projection mapping show in perfect sync with 3 songs and transition scenes at precise key words in the music.

Please tell me I am missing some obvious steps so I can keep my investments in Madmapper and keep using this awesome tool.

Your help is appreciated.
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: Music Keyframing

by jasonbeyers » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:55 pm

I like to use Ableton Live (Suite) for preprogrammed sequences with music + madmapper cues. I far prefer Ableton Live to Vezier for timeline control and have made tons of programmed sequences this way, using Ableton’s automation curves for different types of madmapper cues on parallel tracks (and also using it to drive the music).

Take a look at this live device, to simplify the madmapper integration: https://forum.garagecube.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35741
    Attachments
    55625A32-0AD5-4B83-89D5-67B9F7E88E62.png
    55625A32-0AD5-4B83-89D5-67B9F7E88E62.png (304.88 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
  • Tomber

by Tomber » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:19 am

You can also use ossia score, which is timeline based and could handle the audio playback as well.
  • rna_parts

by rna_parts » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:47 pm

UPDATE: this forum pointed me at this open source project that is AWESOME! I cant imagine doing mapping without it!

http://benjamin.kuperberg.fr/chataigne/en#home

It allows me to sync music perfectly, to control multiple mapping sequences, initialize projectors and computers. Start up Sharpie lights and more.

Its the conductor to my projects orchestra, Madmapper is a key musician in this bigger orchestra.
  • Blacksheep

by Blacksheep » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:44 am

@rna_parts
    Can you show how madmpper and chataigne works together ?
    And how your Your workflow is ?
  • notedguiltless

by notedguiltless » Wed May 24, 2023 5:57 am

UPDATE: this forum pointed me at this open source project that is AWESOME! I cant imagine doing mapping without it!

http://benjamin.kuperberg.fr/chataigne/en#home funny shooter 2

It allows me to sync music perfectly, to control multiple mapping sequences, initialize projectors and computers. Start up Sharpie lights and more.

Its the conductor to my projects orchestra, Madmapper is a key musician in this bigger orchestra.
    Are you able to demonstrate how madmpper and chataigne interact with one another? Hope you respond soon.